70MM Cobra MAF Help....

Blue91GT

Oct 2, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Ok, So when I bought my 70MM Cobra MAF the guy said it was calibrated for 19lb/hr injectors. So Today I decided to check up on this because i had heard that this is not possible without using a different sensor in the 70mm housing.

I checked the sensor part number on the Cobra MAF and it is F1ZF-12B579-AA which after doing some research looks like it is a factory replacement part number for the E9ZF-12B579-AA sensor!

Can anyone shed any light on this for me PLEASE??? Am I, or will I eventually start to run lean because I have this sensor in the cobra housing? Like i said before I bought it this way! Here is a pic of the housing...

housing.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

you got it off ebay didn't ya? i got one from a 'power seller' off ebay a few months back and didn't work for me. i know a lot of my problem was i had a few bad injectors, which i've already switched out, but i put a stock mass air meter on for now. what it sounds like that guy did was take a 70mm 93 cobra housing and swapped a factory 5.0 sensor onto it. as you probably know, 93 cobras came factory with 24# squirters. the way Ford conpensated for the bigger injectors was the correct way...through the EEC. if you want to run that meter and have it work right, you need to get a 93 cobra computer. vristang on here is really knowledgable about this, hopefully he'll chime in or someone a bit more knowledgable than i. iirc, he told me that the car will run/drive fine at lower rpms, but at WOT or higher rpm's, you'll run lean. again, i'm going off what i've been told by fellow stangnetter's here, and i'm not 100% sure if i'm getting the technical part right. hope this helps a bit!

It isn't possible to 'recalibrate' a stock Ford meter to an injector size.

With that said...
People have reported good results using the setup you have purchased.

My opinion...
Get an F2VF sensor from a j/y, an put it in that housing. That sensor and housing combination is a KNOWN. The MAF Transfer is KNOWN, and the results have been DOCUMENTED.

The problem with the meter you have is that the MAF Transfer is not KNOWN.

As I said, this meter has produced good results for others... but I still have reservations...

jason

With that said...

My opinion...
Get an F2VF sensor from a j/y, an put it in that housing. That sensor and housing combination is a KNOWN. The MAF Transfer is KNOWN, and the results have been DOCUMENTED.

As I said, this meter has produced good results for others... but I still have reservations...

jason

there ya go! that's who i was talking about. chimed in as i was editing my post! :SNSign:

Here's a list of cars that will have the F2VF MAF sensor:

1995-94 Mustang 3.8L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Crown Victoria 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1995-94 Mustang GT & Mustang Cobra 5.0L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Town Car 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Grand Marquis 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
Evidently the –A1A, -A2A, AA, etc. on the end of the part number is a minor variant that did not change the operating specs. You should be able to ignore it and have everything work good.

Reactions: 1 user

With that said...

My opinion...

jason

Thanks a lot Jason! I will check the junkyards today!!!

Here's a list of cars that will have the F2VF MAF sensor:

1995-94 Mustang 3.8L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Crown Victoria 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1995-94 Mustang GT & Mustang Cobra 5.0L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Town Car 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
1994-92 Grand Marquis 4.6L F2VF-12B579-A2A,
Evidently the –A1A, -A2A, AA, etc. on the end of the part number is a minor variant that did not change the operating specs. You should be able to ignore it and have everything work good.

That's a great list bro, I appreciate it!!!

One more question, I am installing my ZEX Dry 75-125 kit this weekend and am afraid of running lean. I know that adding an oversized MAF can cause a lean condition. Is it a good Idea just to go back to the stock MAF? Or will I be ok with the F2VF sensor in that housing? I don't want to be running lean at WOT while the nitrous is spraying!!! Thanks Again for all your help...I'm a newbie to the 302!

Justin:D

I have the same set-up as the one mentioned that I bought off ebay a while back.(Not from the Chic with the nice boob's.) The sensor is part # F4SF-12B579-AA. I'm going to resell it on ebay, Just wondering if it truely calabrated for 19#'s or not? (I bought a PMAS meter and 24#'s for my combo.)Any body on here wants it let me know. Dan

The sensor you have is calibrated for a 94/95 V-6 non supercharged T-Bird. It's calibration is not correct for the Mustang A9L computer.

What's happening is everybody and their brother is looking at Ford 19 pound injectors on vehicles and thinking that the meter on that vehicle will work correctly with any Ford vehicle with 19 pound injectors. Calibrations aren't universal.

The Mustang is so popular for hotrodding that people have taken the time to check the calibrations of non-Mustang meters to see if they will work with the Mustang A9L computer. The only sensor that was close enough for the A9L to compensate for the minor differences was the F2VF meter referenced above when mounted in the Cobra or it's own original housing.

a9l and 24ld injs?

so ive stepped out of the vtec world and bought an 88 t-top which is a time consuming project but i have a question is my a9l able to support 24ld injs with out changing the mass? reason for this is i thought i got 32 pd injs and ordered the c&l mass tuned for 32 well i ran the part number and there 24's so either im buying another sample tube or running stock mass any suggestions email me [email protected]

suggest removing your email to prevent future spammers from finding it....

To run those injectors...
1. buy a new sample tube about $30 last I heard
2. Put a custom tune chip in the ecu.