'87-'93 Cowl Hood, What's good? What's Bad?

Mitch93

May 31, 2018
Ontario
Hi Everyone,

I am looking at purchasing a 2 or 2.5 inch cowl hood for my 93 foxbody. I have done a lot of research online and I still haven't come to a solid conclusion of a good/bad cowl hood. I would prefer to buy a steel one, but they seem to all be made in Taiwan which turns me off. I was hoping to hear any input from people who has bought cowl hoods and the good/bad experience they had.

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

You guys are killing me with these cowl hoods.

I'm looking to buy a 86-95 project car with my son and 70% of the Foxes have cowl hoods. The sad part majority have stock motors and a cowl isn't needed. I ask if they still have the stock hood and nope always gone. The worst part, half of them aren't even painted either.

There are some really bad cowl hoods in the market place. Just do a subtle 2" if necessary.

Honestly after buying one then painting you can have almost a $1000 into it where that money could be used elsewhere since the cowl increases HP by zero and grip by zero.

Reactions: 1 user
You guys are killing me with these cowl hoods.

I'm looking to buy a 86-95 project car with my son and 70% of the Foxes have cowl hoods. The sad part majority have stock motors and a cowl isn't needed. I ask if they still have the stock hood and nope always gone. The worst part, half of them aren't even painted either.

There are some really bad cowl hoods in the market place. Just do a subtle 2" if necessary.

Honestly after buying one then painting you can have almost a $1000 into it where that money could be used elsewhere since the cowl increases HP by zero and grip by zero.
i kinda wanna put a flat glass hood on my car and have the intake sticking though it

i kinda wanna put a flat glass hood on my car and have the intake sticking though it

No, no, no...you want this instead.

If this person is on Stangnet please raise your hand and send me your address. You sir are getting a beat down.

Ummm, you have an intake where the stock hood would clear by inches. How do you make right hand turns?

28603271888_2c1f95502b_o.jpg
Untitled by https://www.flickr.com/photos/143276860@N04/, on Flickr

No, no, no...you want this instead.

If this person is on Stangnet please raise your hand and send me your address. You sir are getting a beat down.

Ummm, you have an intake where the stock hood would clear by inches. How do you make right hand turns?

Untitled by , on Flickr

haha my hoods not much shorter in the middle... its only 4" at the windshield though

Mitch, I don't want to hijack your thread so I apolo

Maybe I can point you in a direction not to go by posting these God awful cowl hoods.

@srtthis As for this one, is there a "Who Can Make the Ugliest Cowl Hood" contest going on that we all don't know about?

41754683184_df5d730e02_z.jpg
Untitled by , on Flickr
I found this 3 inch fiberglass hood on my local Craig's list for 50 bucks, had one small crack on the left rear, it is not perfect, but for 50 bucks could not pass it up cheap priced hoods are out there,I build my car on a budget and still am

Attachments

• 20180601_211538.jpg
    20180601_211538.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 800
I'm growing tired of my no name Cobra cowl hood. I love the looks but the fiberglass is cracking and starting to look like chit. I have a stock hood that I will be putting back on. It looks better imo

I'm growing tired of my no name Cobra cowl hood. I love the looks but the fiberglass is cracking and starting to look like chit. I have a stock hood that I will be putting back on. It looks better imo
I went through a phase where I only liked cowl hoods on 5.0's. I bought a 2" cowl, I didn't like anything bigger than that. I never installed it and I ended up liking the stock hood the most. We all go through phases and some last longer than others. I kinda wish I could run Pony R wheels and look more "stock" but I will never give up my IRS to do that.

I went through a phase where I only liked cowl hoods on 5.0's. I bought a 2" cowl, I didn't like anything bigger than that. I never installed it and I ended up liking the stock hood the most. We all go through phases and some last longer than others. I kinda wish I could run Pony R wheels and look more "stock" but I will never give up my IRS to do that.

I really need to get some rubber for my pony r wheels. Lowered fox bodies look terrible on 16 inch wheels. That being said stock ride height looks better with the 16s or 15s.