91 LX not running good HELP!!

marine_80

Jul 8, 2009
I have a 91 LX with a E cam. Problem is when i'm driving and hammer down, it falls on its face and backfires and if i keep my foot down it will not recover. It dosn't do this EVERY time. 90% of the time, when its at operating temp. I am lost on what to try next I don't like playing parts bingo, its costly. Here what is new and checked.
New: Plugs, cap, rotor, wires. TPS is New, Fuel Filter. I have ran the car with the MAF disconnected, didn't help.
Checked fuel pressure twice. Once (cold) had 34-40, once warmed up >20 PSI. Anyone have a idea I can try would be great.
The car does run rich (at least at idle)....No cats (Xpipe)
I hope this is enough information.
Timing is at 15 deg
Also pump sounds "good" if the noisy ones are "good" ones

• Sponsors (?)

My '93 Tbird had the same problem, turned out to be a kinked fuel line. Might not be your specific problem, BUT, I went and had my fuel pressure checked and in neutral, it stayed between 30 and 35 psi (and it revved fine in neutral).

Once it got enough fuel, it ran like a raped ape.

Dumping The computer diagnostic codes on 86-95 Mustangs

Revised 19-May-2009 to update drawing for dumping the codes on 86-88 Mustangs with no check engine light.

Dump the codes and see what the computer says is wrong…Codes may be present in the computer even if the Check Engine light isn’t on.

Here's the way to dump the computer codes with only a jumper wire or paper clip and the check engine light, or test light or voltmeter. I’ve used it for years, and it works great. You watch the flashing test lamp or Check Engine Light and count the flashes.

Be sure to turn off the A/C, and put the transmission in neutral when dumping the codes. Fail to do this and you will generate a code 67 and not be able to dump the Engine Running codes.

Dumping the Engine Running codes: The procedure is the same, you start the engine with the test jumper in place. Be sure the A/C is off and the transmission is in neutral. You'll get an 11, then a 4 and the engine will speed up to do the EGR test. After the engine speed decreases back to idle, it will dump the engine running codes.

Here's the link to dump the computer codes with only a jumper wire or paper clip and the check engine light, or test light or voltmeter. I’ve used it for years, and it works great. You watch the flashing test lamp or Check Engine Light and count the flashes.

See Troublcodes.net Trouble Codes OBD & OBD2 Trouble Codes and Technical info & Tool Store. By BAT Auto Technical

B.jpg

F.jpg

If your car is an 86-88 stang, you'll have to use the test lamp or voltmeter method. There is no functional check engine light on the 86-88's except possibly the Cali Mass Air cars.

attachment.php

The STI has a gray connector shell and a white/red wire. It comes from the same bundle of wires as the self test connector.

89 through 95 cars have a working Check Engine light. Watch it instead of using a test lamp.

attachment.php

The STI has a gray connector shell and a white/red wire. It comes from the same bundle of wires as the self test connector.

WARNING!!! There is a single dark brown connector with a black/orange wire. It is the 12 volt power to the under the hood light. Do not jumper it to the computer test connector. If you do, you will damage the computer.

What to expect:
You should get a code 11 (two single flashes in succession). This says that the computer's internal workings are OK, and that the wiring to put the computer into diagnostic mode is good. No code 11 and you have some wiring problems.

Codes have different answers if the engine is running from the answers that it has when the engine isn't running. It helps a lot to know if you had the engine running when you ran the test.

Trouble codes are either 2 digit or 3 digit, there are no cars that use both 2 digit codes and 3 digit codes.

Alternate methods:
For those who are intimidated by all the wires & connections, see Actron® for what a typical hand scanner looks like. Normal retail price is about $30 or so at AutoZone or Wal-Mart.

Or for a nicer scanner see Digital Ford Code Reader (3145) – It has a 3 digit LCD display so that you don’t have to count flashes or beeps.. Cost is $30.

well i don't have anymore choice, looks like i'm dropping tank. Flow and volume is pretty good, but I have a really good feeling a can of SEAFOAM busted up crud in tank and I keep clogging new filters.

**UPDATE**

Got car warmed up. With pressure gauge hooked up, got 43psi with out FPR vac. hooked up. 35psi with it hooked up. THEN I rev'd it up fuel press. would drop on every rev. (and recover) I'm hoping it the FPR. easier fix....the plot thickens.....

You could use fuel-line pliers on the return line. Redo the test. If the pressure still drops, it's a restriction or lack of flow on the way to the engine. If the pressure remains where it should be, then consider the FPR is bad.

**NEW UPDATE** 9-2-09****

Ok changed FPR, did not fix it!! Put new FPR on fired it up and checked fuel pressure on cold engine. At first I thought it was the culprit had great FP and decided to take it for a test drive...low and behold it did not correct the problem. Got back home retested pressure (warm) and the FP drops down to about 20psi with some reving. So now I'm thinking pump, but I took filter off and had wifey turn ignition on while i held hose and watched flow and it looked pretty good.
Do any of these sensors affect fuel flow?
MAP
MAF
Coolant (have one??)
Should I just changed the pump??
Can I flush the fuel lines to insure no blockage is in lines?
Is there anything I'm overlooking?

If I was watching fuel flow as you were, I'd have done a volume test. A pump can spew a pretty good amount of fuel but still lack the volume to maintain pressure.

There is no sensor that commands fuel flow rates.

Due to the risk of people injuring themselves, I don't post how I do it. One would want to have the pump run for a given time (I use 30 seconds), with fuel going safely into a sealed container (being aware of all fire dangers, etc). After the time interval, shut the pump off, measure the volume of fuel dispensed and convert that to the rate of your pump (pumps are rated in LPH). Generally speaking, If a liter container isn't filled in about 25-30 seconds, there's an issue.

Could be the sock in the tank is clogged up, if you are clogging fuel filters with junk, that means your tank is full of junk. Sooner or later your injectors will be in the same shape. You mentioned seafoam in the tank, did you do the engine via vacumn lines as well?

Matt

Could be the sock in the tank is clogged up, if you are clogging fuel filters with junk, that means your tank is full of junk. Sooner or later your injectors will be in the same shape. You mentioned seafoam in the tank, did you do the engine via vacumn lines as well?

Matt

I'm thinking the sock getting clogged, yes. I'm trying to do everything before jumping into the tank removal. I'd be upset if it was something very small. I am about to the point of flushing tank and putting in higher flowing pump.

Due to the risk of people injuring themselves, I don't post how I do it. One would want to have the pump run for a given time (I use 30 seconds), with fuel going safely into a sealed container (being aware of all fire dangers, etc). After the time interval, shut the pump off, measure the volume of fuel dispensed and convert that to the rate of your pump (pumps are rated in LPH). Generally speaking, If a liter container isn't filled in about 25-30 seconds, there's an issue.

Yes I agree there are numbskulls out there that want to work on their cars but have no idea what they are doing. I use to work on the AV8B Harrier (Jet) so I know the dangers. Thanks for replies.

UPDATE 9-4-09
Dropped tank today. Didn't see ALOT of crud, but I did fix the problem. Looks like the previous owner put a new Walbro pump in, but the rubber hose didn't look very new it was really soft and nearly flat in one section. Anyways its runny hard now. The "winey" pump isn't so "winey" anymore.
The sump section of the tank did have pond water looking fuel.