A/C Replacment or Refill?

ryangruhn

Oct 5, 2000
Hey Guys,
So my 1990 GT with 50K on it just ran out of air conditioning juice. Do I have to get a converter kit for it to use the new stuff or can it just be refilled?

Ryan

• Sponsors (?)

you can get it refilled at some place that has the stuff, its more expensive than the new stuff though. so it might be cheaper to just convert it. plus r-134a is more environmentally friendly, because you know all of us mustang guys are trying not to pollute

Original equipment was R12, which is very difficult to get & very expensive.

Currently R134 is the refrigerant of choice. The 2 keys to success with R134 are flushing the old oil out of the system and having it vaccuumed down to remove air & moisture. There are people who have put el cheapo ($25-$35) conversions from Walmart & do neither. I would not put my money on how long they last or how well they work with the el cheapo conversions compared to doing it the right way.

See http://jrichker.stangnet.com/Mustang_tech/R134a_conversion/R134a_conversion.htm for R134 conversion help.

jrichker said:
Original equipment was R12, which is very difficult to get & very expensive.

Currently R134 is the refrigerant of choice. The 2 keys to success with R134 are flushing the old oil out othe system and having it vaccuumed down to remove air & moisture. There are people who have put el cheapo ($25-$35) conversions from Walmart & do neither. I would not put my money on how long they last or how well they work with the el cheapo conversions compared to doing it the right way.

See http://jrichker.stangnet.com/Mustang_tech/R134a_conversion/R134a_conversion.htm for R134 conversion help.

Honestly I don't have the kind of money to go all out and get it fixed by a shop. I was in a way looking for a cheepo way to fix it for the last few months this summer that shes on the road. If I did do the Wal-Mart special would I be hurting anything? OR would it just not last as long?

Let Me Know!

Ryan

if i were doing it, i would take it to a shop and get them to pull the vacuum on it and flush everything out and than go buy one of those kits from autozone or advance auto and fill it up. make sure you get the kit with the oil already in it though.

Hey guys here's a question. On Ebay there is a kit called Freeze 12 I believe. It is a freon replacement and environmental friendly. It comes with "freon" and oil I believe and you can get a kit with gauges as well for like $35-40. Is this worth trying out? I have been looking at it for 2 weeks now. Cheaper than freon, and suppost to be as good if not better. -J

Keep in mind that you can't mix refrigerants - it's a big no-no. If the Freeze 12 leaks out, you can't go to WalMart and buy it for $3.84 a can. You would need to order it from a supplier such as Freeze12 (http://www.freeze12.com) at $6-$8 a can + shipping.

This is what it says: "COMPLETE RECHARGE KIT!!!
You are looking at a Freeze-12 Freon KIT, that is designed to recharge 1 Car. THERE IS NO EPA CERTIFICATE NEEDED TO PURCHASE. This kit will work in ALL R-12 SYSTEMS. If you have R-12 freon, this kit will work for you, no matter what kind of car you have.

PRODUCT INFORMATION:
Freeze-12 is a Legal REPLACEMENT for R-12. Freeze-12 is acceptable by EPA as an R-12 REPLACEMENT under the S.N.A.P. program as of 10/16/96. Freeze-12 is a completely compatible R-12 REPLACEMENT that is NON-FLAMMABLE and contains NO CFC'S. Freeze-12 will mix with R-12. Just use the tools provided, and your on your way in the A/C.

KIT CONTENTS:
This Kit includes the following:

3 cans of Freeze-12 Freon,

1 can of Freeze-12 oil charge (needed when replacing your freon),

1 Freeze-12 Leak Stop,

and 1 Freeze-12 Quick Charge kit that has all the tools you need and easy to follow instructions for putting in freon.
I promise that this freon is as good if not BETTER than R-12. I have used it in all my vehicles. The best thing is, that it is a fraction of the cost of R-12. I also promise that I have a Great price compared to other sellers of Freeze-12.

You still should have the system vacuumed down. Mositure & air combine with refrigerants to make acid that eats up the system.

If the system has beeen uncapped or without refrigerant for more than 2-3 days, you'll need a new receiver-dryer canister ($85 at Autozone) as well. It is the big shiny aluminum tank that mounts on the firewall and connects to the compressor. The receiver-dryer canister has a chemical pack that absorbs the moisture. Once it gets all the moisture it can hold, it is toast and doesn't work anymore.

better get some uv dye too!!!

save your self money in the long run a good shop will draw it down recharge and add uv dye! and then run it for 15 too 20 minutes then use a light that will show any signs of a uv dye leak if this is not done and you do have a leak somewhere guess where you will be when it stops working again!

raininfire said:
This is what it says: "COMPLETE RECHARGE KIT!!!
You are looking at a Freeze-12 Freon KIT, that is designed to recharge 1 Car. THERE IS NO EPA CERTIFICATE NEEDED TO PURCHASE. This kit will work in ALL R-12 SYSTEMS. If you have R-12 freon, this kit will work for you, no matter what kind of car you have.

PRODUCT INFORMATION:
Freeze-12 is a Legal REPLACEMENT for R-12. Freeze-12 is acceptable by EPA as an R-12 REPLACEMENT under the S.N.A.P. program as of 10/16/96. Freeze-12 is a completely compatible R-12 REPLACEMENT that is NON-FLAMMABLE and contains NO CFC'S. Freeze-12 will mix with R-12. Just use the tools provided, and your on your way in the A/C.

KIT CONTENTS:
This Kit includes the following:

3 cans of Freeze-12 Freon,

1 can of Freeze-12 oil charge (needed when replacing your freon),

1 Freeze-12 Leak Stop,

and 1 Freeze-12 Quick Charge kit that has all the tools you need and easy to follow instructions for putting in freon.
I promise that this freon is as good if not BETTER than R-12. I have used it in all my vehicles. The best thing is, that it is a fraction of the cost of R-12. I also promise that I have a Great price compared to other sellers of Freeze-12.

He has a lot of negitive feedback but backs it all up. As for the product I can't find anyone who said it didn't work, was hard to put in or anything negitive for that matter. I am honestly thinking about the kit for myself.

Ryan