A damn shame...

BlownFiveLiter

have car, will race....wait, it doesn't run
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Chicagoland
http://nwitimes.com/articles/2007/10/26/updates/breaking_news/doc4721d0b6a68e2321213341.txt

Hammond man struck, killed by freight train
Friday, October 26, 2007 8:37 AM CDT
Post a Comment | Email this story | Print this story

BY LAURI HARVEY KEAGLE
[email protected]

HAMMOND | A freight train struck and killed a Hammond man early Friday morning just two blocks from the site of a September train accident that killed two young girls and their mother.

Randall Roberts, 54, of 2900 163rd Place in Hammond was killed when he was struck by a train around 3:30 a.m. at Torrence Avenue and Hudson Street, according to a spokesman for the Lake County Coroner's office. Roberts died from multiple blunt force trauma in a pedestrian versus train accident, the spokesman said.

The death has been ruled accidental.

Eyewitnesses told investigators on the scene that a van was stranded on the tracks. Some witnesses told investigators Roberts was outside of his vehicle when the train struck him and the van.

The accident snarled traffic in the area for hours, with the train blocking Calumet Avenue just north of Chicago Avenue. As of 8 a.m., all crossings were clear.

The crash occurred just two blocks east of a Sept. 1 crash involving a CSX train and van in which Crystal Bolanos, 11, and Anahi Bolanos, 8, were killed. Their mother, Edie Bolanos, later died in a Chicago hospital as a result of injuries sustained in the crash.

This is my best friend's father, whom I've known for a long time. I'm in shock after just finding out about this. My best friend has been with his family and hadn't been able to let me know about this until a little while ago, and I just feel sick right now. His dad was a good person with a good heart. I can't really say much right now, I'm just in shock about it all...

R.I.P. Randy :(

• Sponsors (?)

I'm sorry to hear about this Matt.

My thoughts also go out to his family and to you and those that knew him and know his family.

Thanks for your condolences guys. I'm still just in shock right now and hope his family can find peace and the strength to carry on. He left behind 6 living children ranging in ages from 15-34 and 9 grandchildren. He was preceded in death by one of his own children before I knew my best friend. I think it's a pretty safe bet that I'm not going to work on Tuesday night because I'll be at his funeral service.

My best friend, his son, and his dad:
nick_randy_ryne.jpg

A very fitting tribute to Randy:
randy.jpg