A few questions from a new Stang owner

captainamazeo

Jan 21, 2004
Hi all. I'm new here and even after reading through pages and pages of questions and comments here (not to mention my shop manuals), I still haven't found the answers to these questions about my '70 Fastback. Could anybody help me out?

1. Driver/passenger Seat belts. The shoulder strap is already mounted, but both the lap portions need to be added. I know where the portions of each belt need to be mounted on the tunnel, but can't find the locations where the retractable seat sections go. I've checked the shop manuals and found a general location where, but nothing exact. I've pulled up the carpet and felt all along the inside of the rocker panels -- where the manuals implied they'd go -- and have found no holes to thread the bolts in. The best I could do was an indented portion in the general neighborhood of the post to the rear of the doors.

2. Front turn signal wiring. I've mounted the front turn signals (purchased new ones as the old ones were a mess), but can't find any wires in the headlight harness to connect them to. I've hunted all over the front of the car and the only wire I found that had the same connection as those of the turn signals were those belonging to the side marker lights and they were already connected. Am I missing something on the wiring harness? Is it possible that the previous owner did something cute without telling me? As it stands now after talking with multiple guys I know who have rebuilt many classic cars and trucks, I'm inclined to just buy a new front wiring harness and start from scratch.

3. Quarter window molding. I need to replace the molding on the front of the quarter window behind the driver's side door. This is the piece that the window swivels on. It has a receptacle on top that mates to a hanging post I've had lots of success finding the "boomerang" molding, gaskets, and molding for behind the driver's door, but not what I'm looking for. The piece I'm attempting to discribe is in the lefthand side of this picture. Any idea what it's called and where I might find it?

Sorry for such a long post, but I've been saving these questions up over the last few weeks. Thanks for any help you guys might be able to give me.

• Sponsors (?)

pabear,

Thanks for the help!

I'll look where you told me to for the seat belt location.

I guess that part of my confusion comes from the plug connector on the front turn signals. They have 3 plugs with the plug assembly being rather flat -- the plugs themselves are round, they're just lined up in a row as opposed to being in a circle. I've found two sets of two plugs in the headlight harness without anything plugged into them. One is a circular plug and the other is about 3/8" long and flat. Neither of these mate to the connectors I have on the turn signals themselves.

Regarding the chrome piece, I've already suspected that I'm going to need to go to a car show parts market to find one. Or else find somebody who's parting out a fastback. The '69 looks to have the same piece on its 1/4 window. That would work, too, right?

Welcome to the board. Love your Stang! You could try checking with a few mustang salvage yards. I cant think of any off hand, but somewone here should be able to point you in the right direction.

whatever you do,
during your endeavor, do not, i repeat , do not order parts from mustangsunlimited.
The parts are foreign and inferior, and when you return them, you pay for shipping
and if they lose the part(or just restock it) your out all together. I now order from
NPD, but I'm sure there are other reputable companies out there. I spent $3,000.00
with m/u in one month, when I received my inner and outer tie rods, all four dust
seals cracked in one week, car was still on jack stands. All the sales mgr. (Andrew)
had to say was "they're a beautiful reproduction". NPD sells moog and trw suspension
parts, no *** crap.

oh well, just passin on some ill learned advice

good luck

Thanks for the advice. I got a lead on a store in an industrial park in Beltsville, MD that parts out cars. I'll be checking that place out, soon.

Thus far, I've been ordering my Mustang parts from cjponyparts.com (bad website, but good service, excellent catalog, and they go to the Carlisle, PA car shows) and a place in Dallas that I found online. I got carb parts as well as a new coil and electronic ignition from Summit Racing. I'll keep what you said about mustangsunlimited in mind. Thanks for the heads up.

Here are a few more pictures of my Mustang. They were taken the day I got it home from the previous owner's place. That was a really great story.

He lives down near Budd's Creek in southern MD. He had told me that there was "some" rust in the gas tank and that it might need to be coated or replaced. So I test drive the car and it runs great and without any problems. I buy the thing and start on home after filling up the tank (oops). I got about 5 miles down the road and the thing starts bucking. I call him and he says, "remember the rust thing? Well, you should be fine." In case you couldn't already tell, I'm just learning about cars so I say, "ok. Thanks. Sorry for bothering you" and continue on. Another mile and a half or so down the road, the engine just dies. So he comes out and we discover that the fuel filter is completely clogged with rusty mess. :bang: Long story short, it took 5 hours and 10 stops (to clean/change the fuel filter) to idle the car -- because anything else caused it to shudder and balk -- to my parents' house where they have a garage I can use. Since then, I've replaced the gas tank, sending unit, plugs, coil, and had the carb rebuilt (600 cfm Edelbrock). There's other things I want to do with it, but right now I'm working on the seat belts, turn signals, and that pesky molding for the 1/4 window.

That place in the industrial park had the 1/4 window glass and molding that I was looking for. He has them tinted and untinted. He had 2 of them there (tinted) and said he had more at home. All are used since I don't think any has repro'ed the molding. If anybody wants the phone number of the guy (he said he ships stuff around the country), just send me a PM.

He also said he'd take a look at some of my electrical problems (I also have a short somewhere that I hadn't mentioned before) for me.

And all that time the answers were right under my nose.
I'll take a look at the seat belt locations you guys have mentioned this evening. Thanks again for all the help.

Update: Seatbelts are all mounted. As is the new 1/4 glass behind the driver's seat.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone gave me.

Again, if anybody want's the phone number for the guy who sold me the 1/4 glass and molding, either message here or shoot me a private message.