About to buy a mustang, good buy?

mjsbullitt

May 27, 2009
hello, I'm new here and I'm really thinking about buying a 89 LX 5.0 5 speed. The price ive gotten so far with the guy is $1500 after some negotiation. Its got a little over 100K miles or so. Ill figure ill just direct you to what i can see since most of you can probably make better judgement than me. Im pretty good at finding stuff on the internet and here's what i've dug up. i know im gonna look like a stalker for this but i want to make sure im not buying something completely worthless.

I know he posts on www.allfordmustangs.com as Proracer70

I know he's brought it racing a few times due to this
1989 Ford Mustang lx hatchback 1/4 mile trap speeds 0-60 - DragTimes.com
and some of his posts on allfordmustangs, doesnt bother me cuz im sure ill be runnin it hard to.

and this is what he's told me is on the car
"i was told the car has aftermarket forged pistions, yes this year mustang came with forged stock. not the hyperputic ones. it was bored .30 and the heads were milled. dont know how much. the lower intake was ported/portmatched, it has mac shorty headers with off road H and flows. underdrive pullys, no ac or smog. k&n filter, adjustable fuel pressure regulator,aluminum driveshaft, b&m shifter, king cobra clutch kit. firewall adjuster for clutch, pretty sure its got a bigger fuel pump, theres more but i cant rember all of what it has. it has almost brand new master cylinder, new alternator, new brake pads. recent tune up."

summary: i kno it will need tires, paint im not worried about, and the heater core ill do myself. im pretty sure he used to run nitrous on it but he doesnt mention it anywhere to me. ALSO, i know there no cats on it and im wondering if ill be able to get it on the road because of that, i know it wont need to pass emissions but still needs a visual inspection, i live in Mass btw

and here some pics i found on his photbucket
Pictures by proracer70 - Photobucket

• Sponsors (?)

from what I can see it has the stock intake and rad, the air filter needs to be shielded...its drawing in hot air from the engine bay....the heater core is a PITA...8-10 hours depending on your skills and the dash has to be completely dropped. I have done it once and wont do it again. No cats arent an issue unless you have emmissions testing or a visually inspection. If you do you can just buy a catted X pipe and install it your self (8 bolts and a couple of hangers).

I would offer $1300 and argue the heater core is a $500 repair at the dealership.

im not worried about the heater core since im on a budget and i dont mind doing it myself, i offered him 1400 and he said he wouldnt take less than 1500, he had it on CL for 1800 a few weeks ago and then dropped it to 1600 the other day

mustangsquared said:
argue the heater core is a $500 repair at the dealership.
What are the dealer mechanic rates in NC? :)

Dealer rates in MA/CT are ~$85-$105/hr. Figure 10-12 hours labor, and ~$200-$300 parts (heater core, fluid, hoses, etc).

BTW, for others, since Oct 2008, Mass only does smog inspection on 96+ cars (by the OBD-II connector).

I hate to say this, but *I* am not feeling the love for that car. Too many things I don't like. The rims are hideous, the heater core is a huge PITA, I have a thing about people running Ricer air filters in the car, SPEND $10 and spray paint the hood at least, and so on.

Overall, I see too many warning signs that it's a car that hasn't been properly taken car of, and has parts thrown at it.

BTW: Welcome to Stangnet! I hope you find a better Stang. Or, you get that one for under $1K.

ya i had one i was going to buy a week ago, but he sold it on me for more money so im starting to get anxious. although i like black rims with chrome lips. this car would be a project that i would drive most of the time, although i have a car i can also drive so i don't have to be dependent on it. I agree that it doesn't seem to be taken care of and that was my main concern.

i was wondering to if it would be possible or worth it to buy it, put the h-core in myself, paint it myself, and maybe get some tires (i dont know how bad they actually are) and turn a profit on it.

BTW: Posting links to live auctions/sales is a HUGE NO NO in the Stangnet forums. Not even links to ricer cars, or other stupid stuff, being sold on ebay. There was a HUGE augment over "Ricer Friday" (was that the name?) links a few years back.

IMHO, *I* like the Stangnet mod policies better than "the other site". With "the other site", a flame war often starts if people disagree on anything.

IMHO, if that car was at all worthy, you could be looking at a long vacation or a ban.

Dealer rates here are $85 an hour...no joke. I replaced the heater core myself the first time and then when it died again I took it in to the dealer... $550 later I got her back. Sadly, mods not included, that was the best $550 I spent!! My back was happy, my hands werent all cut up from the sharp plastic under the dash, etc.

thanks guys, i really appreciate the help. i think i might just tell him i had a financial problem and if he drops the price drastically ill consider it if not then ill just keep on scowering craigslist. And on that note, any other good places to look besides craigslist and ebaymotors?

thanks guys, i really appreciate the help. i think i might just tell him i had a financial problem and if he drops the price drastically ill consider it if not then ill just keep on scowering craigslist. And on that note, any other good places to look besides craigslist and ebaymotors?

Sometimes you can find good deals in your local town paper. Some of the older folks only use newspapers. It's a gamble going to look at something without seeing pictures first, but sometimes it's all in the hunt.

Yeah I would keep looking. Sometimes you get a good deal and end up on top but I think even if you paid $500 for it you might end up putting a lot more into it to get it into good condition. Save your money for a little longer and then shop for one in the 3-5K range. Cash talks and keep the "walk away" power. If you don't "have" to have the car then you usually get a better deal.

I would be worried about all of the missing emissions parts. Here in Colorado our smog checks keep getting stricter. Many older cars have gone to the junkyard or had to leave the state because you cannot find the emissions parts anymore to make them legal. Best to get an unmolested car so you can save those unwanted parts yourself in case you later need them. And keep saving your money and try to be patient while car shopping, you will be much happier in the end.