Advice Needed for Headers (98 GT)

BlackenedSVT

Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
I'm getting new headers and exhaust this summer. Wanted to know what you guys think would be the best option (most hp output) for my 98 GT. I'm throwing on Magnaflows with whatever headers i get this summer, and for the meantime its stock, save for the MAC H-pipe which i had to replace cause of bad cats.

My car is lowered 2" (its REAL low, almost bottoms out on everything), and i hear that Long Tube Headers hang even lower then the car. Is this true? If thats the case i'm forced into getting Shorty Headers, which i hear are not worth it....I already bottom out going over bad speadbumps, and i don't want anything hitting my headers! But shorties gotta be better then stock. Let me know what you think. And which headers are the best to go with? I found SHM headers as the cheapest, like $280. let me know what you think i should get. Thank guys.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 98 with Shorties. Most knuckle bustin install I have ever done. Never used 1/4 drive tools so much....it a real pain, and most reading I have done since said the benefit over stock manifolds was like 5 horsepower. With a blower, I have really regretted it. If at all possible, do the long tube style.

Ok, if i get LT's...which are the best? And i need a new midpipe. I'd go with a New X-pipe. Any recommendations? I still need the header and exuast to be New Jersey emissions legal with cats...but i want performance and sound too :D

I already have the Bassani X w/cats. If I ever go to long Tube, I was going to see if it is possible, depending on cat location, to cut/shorthen the xpipe and weld it to the header collectors. At the very worst case, you would have to relocate the cats farther back to just in front of the crossover pipe. At any rate, its worth a look to keep from spending another $450 on a x-pipe. I have the capability to do this in the shop I work at, so your resources may be more limited.