Another clutch/throwout bearing question...

SuperSync

Founding Member
Jul 20, 2002
Asheville, NC
I've seen a few threads here in the search about selecting the right clutch/throwout bearing/flywheel...

And I've fought it off for a while (almost 2 years and 8K miles the throwout bearing on my Centerforce clutch has been chattering away, but I don't know how many actual miles it has on it). My clutch is slipping some but definately not releasing smoothly anymore.

So what should I get to allow a little more horsepower?? (with hopes my H/C/I swap becomes reality this year!) This car will not make more than 325RWHP in the forseeable future.

I definately want a SPEC clutch but am torn between the Stage I/II. Is the price difference worth the difference in their construction? I don't want something that's stiff since this is a daily-driven car in stop-n-go traffic.

Do I need to replace my flywheel or just get it resurfaced? (the car has 92K on it). I usually go all out but I just want my drivetrain to be smooth.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

SS

PS...Happy and prosperous new year to all!

• Sponsors (?)

SPEC Stage 1 can handle up to 410 lb/ft and since its made of an organic material, its engagement will be smooth but with better grip than stock. Anytime you turn down a flywheel, IMO, you are weakening its structure so I would buy a new one. Some here haven't had any problems with a turned down flywheel.