AOD swap

jlangholzj

Mustang Master
Oct 23, 2006
CLT
Well I've been battering with the idea of a lower ring/pinion. But after some careful consideration, I thought it would be best to upgrade to a AOD prior to, and the overdrive would be a good addition.

this is an ad I'm looking at:

1985 FORD F-150 Transmission AOD - 289 / 302 w/ Overdrive

few questions:

--from what I understand, the AOD had several different case lengths. However those used in cars and F-150's post 11/81 are the shorter length desired. Like the one in the add.

--Also the C-4 had several different size/tooth flex plates??? From what I gather the AOD requires a 164 tooth flexplate that is common in the 351 motors and (?? most 289/ 302 ??). So should i be safe with my flex plate?
--going along with that, if i need a different flex plate, a different tooth on the starter would be necessary, correct?

--next I understand that the block plate from my 289 should be a direct fit for the AOD ??

--bell housing SHOULD be a direct fit (per bolt pattern etc.) for my 289, right?

--I will have to fabricate a custom hangar for the AOD, or at least the location for it. anyone do this?

--lastly, the throttle valve linkage. If i remember correctly, there is a kit out there for this correct?

i guess overall from what I understand, the swap is relatively easy, but I'm looking for some input from you guys who have done this before. I guess for a $100 cost for the AOD, not that big of a deal, but how much more am I going to have to get to make this work??

really kind of excited to do this :D

thanks! -J

• Sponsors (?)

And I just saw an add in Modified Mustangs from Classic Tube (I think...not sure the name) for pre bent trans lines that fit an AOD in a mustang with the correct fittings. Would make tat part a little easier anyway.

information is all well and good...(and that was some GOOD CHIT!) but i guess I'm looking more for advice on the whole swap in general.

And I just saw an add in Modified Mustangs from Classic Tube (I think...not sure the name) for pre bent trans lines that fit an AOD in a mustang with the correct fittings. Would make tat part a little easier anyway.

looking...meow... :rolleyes:

the aod in the ad is a long tail version, it will work but a short tail would be better, however in your case you'll need a shorter driveshaft anyway so it doesn't matter as much but for instance on a 69 or any year that had an FMX originally the short tail aod is the same length as the FMX so a shorter shaft isn't necessary. if you have a large bell C4 with the 164 tooth flexplate you may not need a different one, however the aod and the c4 may not use the same torque converter bolt pattern. a 69-up 351w or 351c felxplate will work just fine with the aod. i think the aod also uses a specific block plate so you'll most likely need a new one and you'll definitely need a trans crossmember because the mount pad on the aod is farther back on the trans than any non od ford trans.

the aod in the ad is a long tail version, it will work but a short tail would be better, however in your case you'll need a shorter driveshaft anyway so it doesn't matter as much but for instance on a 69 or any year that had an FMX originally the short tail aod is the same length as the FMX so a shorter shaft isn't necessary. if you have a large bell C4 with the 164 tooth flexplate you may not need a different one, however the aod and the c4 may not use the same torque converter bolt pattern. a 69-up 351w or 351c felxplate will work just fine with the aod. i think the aod also uses a specific block plate so you'll most likely need a new one and you'll definitely need a trans crossmember because the mount pad on the aod is farther back on the trans than any non od ford trans.

so what I'm looking at is:

new flexplate from a 69-up 351 (eliminates any bolt pattern issues)
AOD block plate

and a driveshaft (from what i gather, 50" ??)

and that would about sum it up for the mechanical connections? minus the TV cable etc etc.. ?

yeah that stuff plus a crossmember and if you have a holley ro e'brock carb you'll need the TV valve corrector linkage, if you have a stock ford carb you'll probably have to build your own linkage corrector.

http://www.performancetransparts.com/sonnax/AS2-02K.jpg

you'll need to buy or modify your shift lever linkage

Performance Automatic PASS53104 - Performance Automatic AOD Shift Linkage Kits - summitracing.com

:flag:

I know where i can get the TV cable, and thanks for the point on the linkage! I'll probably fab-up the crosmember myself.

hopefully I'll have some info back to you guys within the week! ;)

--from what I understand, the AOD had several different case lengths. However those used in cars and F-150's post 11/81 are the shorter length desired. Like the one in the add.

The "bolt in" AOD is from a FOX Body Mustang, TBird, Cougar, etc...

--Also the C-4 had several different size/tooth flex plates??? From what I gather the AOD requires a 164 tooth flexplate that is common in the 351 motors and (?? most 289/ 302 ??). So should i be safe with my flex plate?

The 164 tooth is for a AOD using what is called the "large bell housing" there is a "small bell housing" flex plate that has 157 teeth.

--going along with that, if i need a different flex plate, a different tooth on the starter would be necessary, correct?

No your starter should work fine

--next I understand that the block plate from my 289 should be a direct fit for the AOD ??

yes

--bell housing SHOULD be a direct fit (per bolt pattern etc.) for my 289, right?

If you have a 6 bolt block you are fine.

--I will have to fabricate a custom hangar for the AOD, or at least the location for it. anyone do this?

We make one, almost all my dealers carry it. It is a bolt in crossmemeber, and uses the AOD's transmount.

--lastly, the throttle valve linkage. If i remember correctly, there is a kit out there for this correct?

We make this kit as well as the linkage kit for using your Classic Shifter with the AOD transmission. Again many of my dealers that advertise on this site carry it. (We don't sell to the public)

Some of the dealers that carry these include:

California Mustang
Mustangs Unlimited
CJ Pony Parts
NPD
Just to name a few.

Well....I'm sold

got:

tranny
flex plate
torque converter
yoke
block plate
dust cover
mounting bracket
mounting bushings

woo!!

I'm making my own shift linkage and then getting the lokar kit from summit. Pretty sure I'll be able to find a drveshaft at a local yard.

She's going in this spring :banana:

question:

I'm having a hard time finding a source for the transmission codes...(fancy that)

the tag reads:

PKB J
067798 F21
E5TP GA

any help would be appreciated...thanks!

I fabbed up my own shift linkage using the original. I just heated and rebent the old one and added a small piece of flat stock on one end that I later drilled out to slot it. I cut the bent/pinned end off the old linkage, and welded on the new piece. I have the measurements and the angles you would need in the pictures, but I just used a metal hanger, bent it around the trans and made sure all the angles moved smoothly for each position Park to 1st. Pretty simple.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f210/68converted/Linkagetopview.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f210/68converted/Linkageside.jpg

i picked up the AOD today, question is, how will i know which flexplate i have?? I looked for a number, but could not find one, attached is a picture.

bueller?

IMG_0992.jpg

Grab a pen and put a dot on one particular tooth.

81,82,83,84........... :rlaugh:

j/k

Ring-gear diameter will obviously be greater for the 164-tooth flexplate. Need to know which size your particular AOD requires, as well as what you have presently. Armed with that info, go shopping if what you have isn't what you've got.

Remember, Google is your friend. Just hit several "found" sites to get some kind of corroboration.....

Grab a pen and put a dot on one particular tooth.

81,82,83,84........... :rlaugh:

j/k

Ring-gear diameter will obviously be greater for the 164-tooth flexplate. Need to know which size your particular AOD requires, as well as what you have presently. Armed with that info, go shopping if what you have isn't what you've got.

Remember, Google is your friend. Just hit several "found" sites to get some kind of corroboration.....

I'm not so much worried about the TOOTH....rather the imbalance. if i remember correctly there's a 28 oz and a ?54 oz imbalance.

I'm not so much worried about the TOOTH....rather the imbalance. if i remember correctly there's a 28 oz and a ?54 oz imbalance.

Oh! You're still running the 289/302/Windsor; right?
Then you want the 28 oz. Balance counterweight tracks the engine, not the transmission. Early 289's/302's/351's(both Windsor and Cleveland) wore 28 oz imbalance flexplates/flywheels. Not until the "5.0" did the 302 switch to a 50 oz weight.

OBTW; Windsors didn't change at all!

Oh! You're still running the 289/302/Windsor; right?
Then you want the 28 oz. Balance counterweight tracks the engine, not the transmission. Early 289's/302's/351's(both Windsor and Cleveland) wore 28 oz imbalance flexplates/flywheels. Not until the "5.0" did the 302 switch to a 50 oz weight.

OBTW; Windsors didn't change at all!

well YAAAAA...geese old man....do i need to speeeel this out for you?? :p

maybe i didn't explain it well, I know that i need the 28 oz imbalance from a 69' up 351. either that or I'll see if my flexplate from my c4 will work or not.

what I'm trying to figure out (since there's no number stamped on the flexplate) if i've GOT a 50oz or a 28 oz??

didn't know if there were differences in appearance betwix the two (other than the obvious size difference) guess I'll be able to tell that when i take the one out of my c4!

THe one in the picture looks like a 50oz weight, but it just looks that way to me, I could be wrong...any "good" machine shop can spin it and tell you what weight it is, AND if they are a "good" machine shop, can rebalance it to 28oz. But, you need to see what they charge, compared to a new flex plate. THe new flex plate may be cheaper.