Bad News... motor is dead.

Stang_1973

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2001
San Antonio, Tx.
My dad just got a call a while ago from his friend who checking over my stang. After about amonth of worsening problems a unsuccesful attemps at getting it to run right we took the car to my dads friend who builds engines to look it over.

Well, my dad says, his friend said that the cam is really to blame. When I first heard this I felt good since it gave me excuse to upgrade to a crane energizer cam, but then my dad said that as a result of the cam going bad that oil was getting to the spark plugs. Then the guy said that basically the engine was going to die even if we changed the cam and so I need a knew motor.

I haven't really gone over the specifics with my dad and his friend but damn it, this sucks.

So my question is. What is most likely going on, that a cam problem, could cause me to have to buy a new motor? Why cant it be remedied by replacing the cam?

I am so frustrated.

• Sponsors (?)

cam lobe going flat will cause metal to get into your bearings and the motor will develop a rod knock and eventualy eat itself up. A problem with flat tappet cams, if when you rebuild the motor you can swap to a roller cam this will almost ensure not having a flat cam lobe since roller cams (have roller lifters as well) do not wear like that.