best places to jack up a fox?

DemonGT

Founding Member
May 24, 2002
Sparta,WI
iv always used the front sub frames in the front and the rear end for the back? is there a better way to jack up the front/ sides of the car? just got to thinken bout it cause i noticed my fenders bowing alittle bit

• Sponsors (?)

If i have to jack from the side i use my sub frame connectors as a jacking point. Otherwise i jack up under one of the A arms or right under the pumpkin on the rear end.

Reactions: 1 user
Underneath the car.

Seriously......... Paul, since you're quite wise and have been around forever. :hail2: I seem to recall reading [from what I thought was a reliable source] that jacking the axle tubes could lead to slight bending or weakening of the housing welds..............

Have you come across such a thing? I know everyone does it but I'm always real careful about doing so since I'd not visually see any ill effects (if I don't see the tree fall in the forest, that doesn't mean it didn't fall). Thoughts?

DOOR001.jpg

Lesson learned. Mine is @ the body shop being repaired of all dings and being painted black again. Whoo Hoo cant wait hope to get back by this Friday!!!

Seriously......... Paul, since you're quite wise and have been around forever. :hail2: I seem to recall reading [from what I thought was a reliable source] that jacking the axle tubes could lead to slight bending or weakening of the housing welds..............

Have you come across such a thing? I know everyone does it but I'm always real careful about doing so since I'd not visually see any ill effects (if I don't see the tree fall in the forest, that doesn't mean it didn't fall). Thoughts?

JT

This is the first I’ve heard of bending the axel tube or weakening the welds at the housing by jacking up the car right beside lower control arm bracket.
I can see where someone could say that you’re possible creating a pivot point and putting undo stress on the welds around the housing by jacking the car up on the axel tube, but then again the whole rear suspension sits within an inch or less on the axel tube and uses that point continually on rough roads and potholes or any other beating the rear takes in it’s life time.

I don’t doubt there is that possibility of bending the axel tube when you jack the car up by using the axel tube as a jacking point, but in my 43 years of driving and working on cars and jacking up the rear of the car by using the axel tube I haven’t seen any sign of dents or crushing points in the axel tube YET.... but then again who knows about the next time.

I've got the age , you've got the knowledge:)

Paul, thank you very much sir! And I appreciate your egregious exaggeration; I fear you have forgotten more than I will ever know. :hail2:

What you said makes sense. :nice:
I very likely confused that info with another car (perhaps a non-V8 car with a weaker rear, or I'm just totally out to lunch as usual). I am pretty sure it's true for some rear-end but I just don't know which. A little knowledge (or in this case, recollection) is dangerous. :rlaugh:

Thanks again Paul!

It is usually because someone jacked the car up under the front fender where it bolts to the car right behind the front tire(s). The solution is unbolt the bottom of the fender, use vise grips along with a hammer and straighten out both the body where the fender bolts on, and the bottom of the fender where the bolt goes through. Bolt it back on and it should be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
I just installed a set of Stifflers jacking rails, fairly simple install if you can weld and gives you the ability to jack anywhere along the rail.
There is also the side benefit of some additional chassis stiffening.

One the notch I used to have the pinch weld was pushed up so far from a previous owner, that I had to straighten the pinch weld out the best I could and then wallow out the hole that the bolt goes through to give me more room. Like thief said, once the pinch weld is straighted it should line up. Or you might have to have a buddy push in on the back of the fender while you tighten it down.

One the notch I used to have the pinch weld was pushed up so far from a previous owner, that I had to straighten the pinch weld out the best I could and then wallow out the hole that the bolt goes through to give me more room. Like thief said, once the pinch weld is straighted it should line up. Or you might have to have a buddy push in on the back of the fender while you tighten it down.
i don't remember saying that. I would have told him to bolt it to the block!