Suspension Bilstien rear shocks

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I'm having trouble figuring these out. They are 94/04 shocks but that shouldn't matter. Not enough threads to engage the nuts.

Circlip everytinh bottoms out on
IMG_1693.JPG

You can see the stackup minus the dust boot gives me 1/4"
IMG_1694.JPG

But the spacer in the boot is more than that. So with everything installed I have no thread
IMG_1695.JPG

IMG_1696.JPG

I've pushed and pulled and rearranged but can't get a nut on these. All pics I find show this exact arrangement.

Both shocks do this

• Sponsors (?)

Would installing them in the car with the weight pushing down on them give you the extra room to tighten the nut?? Mount them on the bottom, guide the shock threads in the hole while letting the car down on the ground then tighten? Maybe the lower bushing will compress enough to get you the room you need. Maybe I’m totally wrong, or maybe I’m a idiot and you already tried that.

Last edited:
Can't get the axle to articulate that far up with the spring in. Would need to remove it and then jack the axle up. I kinda feel that if that's what I need to do then something is off

Those rubber bushings usually squeeze up a lot when you tighten everything up. Maybe you can pre squeeze them some by using a nut and bolt to compress them before placing on the shock. I don't know how much they will spring back but it looks like you only need a bit more to get it on. Good Luck

Tried jacking one side up all the way but it only lifts the car. I tried using the worn bushings from old shocks but they don't fit right but I'm albe to get it to squeeze down. Problem is when I go to swap the new bushing in it relaxes

This is what I got on both sides. Can't catch a single thread

IMG_1704.JPG