Black Jack: Mark VIII fan is installed

This is officially the first time a fox has ever left me stranded. Fortunately, I was close to the house and had a friend help me get things home. Still made my flight, too!

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I think my A9L was both problems. The ticking/clicking was it's way of trying to warn me.

The ECU relay is located right about the ECM. There is nothing inside the ECU itself that would click so it could be the ECU relay opening and closing that is making that sound.

The coil for the relay is fed from the ignition, but bounces around a bit on the wiring. This is the '88 EVTM but i think it's the same other than wire colors. This may point back to a failing ignition switch. Wire 16 off the ignition switch, through the fuse link by the wiper motor and on to the coil/tfi and then connection J to the EEC relay

1D734D55-9FC1-41A6-A9EA-C35BA9DA98C9.jpeg

• Useful
Replaced the ignition switch early on with all the electrical gremlins the car had, but I think I have another one on the shelf and don't mind swapping again. As far as the EEC relay goes... great... I'll look for it.

Tried swapping the ignition switch again. Swapped the A9L, tested the MSD 6AL. Used a spark tester and watched plenty of spark during cranking. Put all parts I replaced back in, including the old dizzy. I don't want to complicate further diagnostics by having multiple changes at once. Couldn't get to the EEC relay, yet. I guess that's next, followed by using the no-start checklist, and then setting it on fire... lol

• Surprised
Maybe I should just start working through the no-start diagnostic checklist. If it's not the relay or maybe the 10-pin connectors, I'm out of ideas.

It is hard to figure out what's left that I haven't addressed but at least the relay, as you suggested, plausibly connects the cutting out and no-crank problem with the light load ticking/clicking I started hearing in the month or so before.

Last edited:
Can you confirm that the relay "clicks" when you turn the key to on?

edit: nevermind. If the fuel pump is priming correctly, it's being fed from the relay so it's working

Last edited:
Step 1 of the no-start checklist and I've already found the problem. The spark I was getting was intermittent while cranking it over until I bypassed the MSD box. Now, I either need to trace the wiring to the MSD box and find the issue, or just permanently bypass and remove the 6AL.

Step 1 of the no-start checklist and I've already found the problem. The spark I was getting was intermittent while cranking it over until I bypassed the MSD box. Now, I either need to trace the wiring to the MSD box and find the issue, or just permanently bypass and remove the 6AL.
I need to put this somewhere that I can just press a button and it will paste into every Accel/MSD thread on the interwebz. :)

*Mumbles some :poo: about having a nickel...*

:leaving:

Yeah... It was pretty tricky, because it sparked fine the several times I tested it. This is my first time with an MSD Box issue across all of my cars, and this particular box has been doing well in the car since I bought it in 2014. I'm wondering if the recent wire tuck had something to do with it, but it's probably just the box. I will likely remove it completely tomorrow after a little more testing. With some luck, the box was also the ticking sound, even though it's mounted so far forward in the engine bay.

I dont know if the name Tony Reiners is familiar to anyone, but he's somewhat well known for his wizardry with a stock block 351. He was making in the neighborhood of 900whp with a stock TFI system and no booster box. I'm pretty resolute in my beliefs that they aren't needed in most applications and Ill do whatever I can to avoid them. Just another piece to strand you.

Reactions: 1 users
Welp, it was indeed the box. I extended & connected the stock ignition coil wiring from the fender, and it cranked and ran long enough for me to set timing.... maybe a full minute, which it has not done since the car left me stranded. So, I'm pretty sure it's good to go, now. I'll probably button it up on the first available day after xmas... Monday, maybe...

So, what do you boys do for timing retard and a spark limiter on nitrous systems? Is there any other option than a tuner/stand-alone? I think I'll end up putting another box back in the car for those capabilities, but it's not going to be a 6AL.

Last edited:
My suggestion would be to dump the EEC and move to the MSPNP or something similar. I’m headed that direction this spring when they get the sequential injection unit on the market. There is a forum on here for tuning this unit and a couple guys that really know their stuff and are always willing to help.

• Agree
Yeah, I have 2 foxes with stand-alones. I'm probably not headed that direction with this car. The other cars get fairly open budgets, but I don't need a 3rd. Trying to keep this one under control.

Does the MS actually limit spark? My Stand alones do not. They, like the stock computer, limit fuel.