Brake light comes on when I shift??? help

Lately I have been noticing that when I shift in to 2nd and 3rd, my e-brake dash light comes on! What the hech is that? its bugging me...It is getting more frequent in 2nd and comes on in 3rd when I shift a little higher rpm...it flashes on briefly right when I shift and then let out the clutch...any assistance would be greatly appriciated..thanks

• Sponsors (?)

how is the brake fluid level (the light normally is for not only letting you know the ebrake is applied, but also letting you know you have low fluid). i cant remember off the top of my head if the stang has a low level sender, but i would bet it does. i have some older stuff that does not, and i forget what is what.

top up the fluid and you might fix it. when you shift, you slosh the fluid around, and it might allow the float (sender mechanism) to sink (while fluid sloshes) and illuminate the light for a second.

good luck.

mine does as well.

Does it come off if you tap your brake??
My friend said on his thunderbird that used to happen because he needed a brake job, since his reare drums were very worn. In my case that would work, because my brakes are close to being completely done.

I think it has something to do with worn down brakes and having the back sensor tripped.

UMDSmith said:
mine does as well.

My friend said on his thunderbird that used to happen because he needed a brake job, since his reare drums were very worn. In my case that would work, because my brakes are close to being completely done.

I think it has something to do with worn down brakes and having the back sensor tripped.
Huh????????
as far as i know, there are no wear sensors on the brakes at all. about the only sensor you will find in the vicinity is an ABS speed sensor....if so equipped.

im guessing that you must be thinking of your new Mercedes or something. :)

UMDSmith said:
mine does as well.

There are no sensors on the brakes.

WHat happens is when your brakes wear way down, the pistons and wheel cylinders are pushed out far because there is little pad. This draws brake fluid out of the MC resevior and trips the low fluid light.

The BRAKE light in Mustangs shows you when the E-brake is up, OR you are low on fluid. Those are the only reasons it should come on.