Bucking as throttle engaged

sgw_88FoxGT

May 18, 2008
I'm pretty new to Mustangs and I just got my first 5.0, an '88 GT a couple months ago so I'm kinda learning as I go. Anyway...

No matter what gear I'm in, right when I first engage the throttle my car will buck real hard if the clutch is fully engaged. If it's right at the point where I just barely tap it it's almost like it's giving it either too much gas or none more than if it was idling, like it can't decide and it'll buck back and forth until I give it just a little more gas. The bucking doesn't happen when I stomp on the gas and it doesn't happen if I'm cruising at 1500 rpm. It usually happens if I'm trying to accelerate really light as I'm going through second and third gears between 1500 rpm and 3000 rpm.

Only mods to the car is straight pipes (2.5 inch, no H- or X-pipe, no cats, Magnaflow mufflers) and a King Cobra clutch. I replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the IAC, tried resetting the EEC by disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes then reconnecting it. I can't find any vacuum leaks but I may just be overlooking a leak.

Other symptoms are the occasional hanging idle at about 1500 rpm but it'll always, sometimes slowly, come back down to 900 after warm up. Once in a while my idle surges barely noticeably, like 50 rpm but hangs out around 900 rpm.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance! I can't anyone else with this specific bucking problem right when the throttle is engaged!

• Sponsors (?)