Building over-head shelf in garage - ideas, help needed

TheUser

Jul 25, 2003
Springfield, MO
I want to build some over-head shelving in the garage. Mainly just a shelf about 30" from the ceiling and that sticks out about 2 feet from the wall to put junk on and get it out of the way. I would like it to support quite a bit of weight so that I could put tires/wheels, etc on it and not worry about it falling. I'd like it to be able to support at least 500 lbs I guess, maybe more.

Do any of you have such a thing in your garage? Do you have pictures? I was thinking it might be more structurally sound to brace from beneath w/ boards angle-cut to mount up against the wall, but that would limit the sizes, etc of things that could be stored below the shelf. I'll probably look into attaching it above, but don't want to have boards too close because that would also limit the size of things stored on it.

Basically, what I'm asking is: How can I build a structure to mount to the wall/ceiling to safely hold at least 500 lbs. I want it to be about 12 ft long, 2feet from the wall, and 30" from the ceiling.

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome.

• Sponsors (?)

The easiest way is to run some sort of small beam from wall to wall. Then hang your joists off of that beam. That way you wont need any type of support from below. What is the total width of your garage? Take some pics for me and I'll tell how to build it! (I do this stuff for a living)

pic.php

Unfortunately, I can't make it wall to wall beause of the place I want it would interfere with the attic drop-down stairs and also the door to inside the house. I just want it 12 ft (right before the stairs), 30" from the ceiling, 2 feet or so out from the wall and strong. I don't know for sure what will go up there and it might not even be close to 500 lb's (I'd like stronger, but 500 lbs is minimum), but I like things to be stronger than necessary.

The pulley system is a good idea, but probably beyond the scope that I had planned at this time. It's definately something to think about though.:nice:

Thanks guys

I think I'll look at the pre-made overhead storage systems...I've seen those before and they were expensive if I remember correctly.

Go with some 4x4's as posts to hold up a beam and a 2x4 across the wall in the back. Then make so ribs inbetween the beam and the 2x4 about evey 1 1/2 ft then lay plywood over it.. Thats how we added a second level to our band practice room and now we have a relaxation area over where we practice that holds well over 1000lbs I can get some pics for you later this week if you want.

the whole idea is to use the space not currently being used in the air and also be able to utilize the floor below unobstructed. I basically want the garage to be how it is now unless you look up and see the shelf - no posts. Thanks though.

TheUser said:
the whole idea is to use the space not currently being used in the air and also be able to utilize the floor below unobstructed. I basically want the garage to be how it is now unless you look up and see the shelf - no posts. Thanks though.
We have our posts nxt to the wall and they dont take up space... Like i said its real easy to do.. Ill take pics and post them up for you..

If you make sure your shelf is running perpendicular to the floor joists above and make sure the wall is a load bearing wall, I dont see why you cant just screw it with a self tapping screw if you have wood and a tapcon if there's masonry or cmu behind the gyp board on the wall

Here are some pics of the shelf I built in my garage. The advantage I had was that I could run it wall to wall. I essentially built the shelf frame on the floor (2x3s) and then raised it into place. Once in place, I ran lag bolts into the studs. I also ran some supports at approximately 45 degree angles for additional support. The shelf its self is I believe 5/8" plywood. Also, while at Lowes I picked up some closet accesories so I could get the extension cords and bottles out of the way. Good luck.

View attachment 474779

View attachment 474781

View attachment 474783

View attachment 474785

View attachment 474787

I'm starting to think about putting it on a different wall where I could use the anchors from underneath like tunedin. However, I was thinking...the garange door rails are mounted to the ceiling and that door is heavy (2 car garage), so I probably could use some metal framing from the ceiling. In this location, however, it could only be roughly 10 ft long.

Thanks for the help guys. Keep the ideas and pics coming if you got 'em.

TunedIn...that's a nice setup.:nice: Thanks for sharing.

tundein's idea would be the strongest if combined with some beams from the edge of the shelf up to a headder beam that is screwed into the truses.
like have a 2X4 or a 2X6 running against the truses and have some 2X4's come off that to the edge of the shelf and have some tri supports like tunedin has on the bottom. you could hold alot of weight like that even how tunedin's is will hole more than enough.

LMAO :lol:

I just got inside from making a replica of what you got there minus the hanger rod which will be installed tom. Thanks for that great idea.

Im going to do a large peg board wall to hang all my tools on as well.

great thread keep the pix coming