Cammed or not ?

Hey there guys am new to the whole foxbody sceen but have been wanting one for years, finaly picked one up last month (89 lx) and now am wondering how modded the car is because it has pep to it and sounds aggressive AF as far ad I know previous owner added gt40 intake upgraded aluminum radiator bbk shorty headers H pipes cold air in take and mds starter cant tell if the heads are GT40 as well but am wondering if there is a way to tell if the car is cammed by its idle rpm or exhaust note?

• Sponsors (?)

Hey there guys am new to the whole foxbody sceen but have been wanting one for years, finaly picked one up last month (89 lx) and now am wondering how modded the car is because it has pep to it and sounds aggressive AF as far ad I know previous owner added gt40 intake upgraded aluminum radiator bbk shorty headers H pipes cold air in take and mds starter cant tell if the heads are GT40 as well but am wondering if there is a way to tell if the car is cammed by its idle rpm or exhaust note?
Firstly.
It's " scene"
Nextly,..
It's "MSD"

MDS is short for Muscular Dystrophy Syndrome, and you'd know that if you ever watched the Jerry Lewis Labor day telethon. MSD, on the other hand, is short for May Suddenly Die...as is the case with all MSD built products.
:O_o:
It's typical for an engine with this many other mods to have a different cam than stock, but not a guarantee. And anybody who has been around for awhile can usually listen to an engine and know if it has an aftermarket cam or not. But again, depending on whose opinion you solicit, that also is not a guarantee that it does. There are many out there that don't know a cam lope from a dead cylinder, or a poorly idling engine. Trying to tell somebody that hasn't been around these engines very long what that sounds like is like trying to tell you what purple looks like.

If I'd have to guess, I'd say the car has a Ford "B" cam in it. It has a distinct "cammed" sound at idle ( that's about all its good for) and is usually a go to in a lot of basic build ups. And if I'd have to try and tell you what purple looks like, I'd say that a cammed engine has a rolling lope to its idle. It makes a repeated "rumpity-rumpity-rumpity" noise through its loud assed flow master mufflers. Take out the "ity" and leave just the rump, string three of those together, and you have a dead cylinder sound instead.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Lol Unfortunately ive never had the pleasure of sitting through one of his telethones, Yeah by your description am leaning more towards the b cam then dead cylinder, thank for the in am still very green to all this and trying to pick up as much knowledge bombs as you guys will drop. What would be a good replacement for msd starter kit?

I liked it but...

imgres

(I'm a clutz in a purple haze repeated below...)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user