Cams in a CARB state?

Octuneman

Jul 26, 2019
maryland
I was thinking about camming my 2001 GT but i live in maryland and the state has strict emission laws and i was wondering if anyone knows how i can get around them if i can. I daily drive my mustang. Any help would be appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

Hi.
This seems to be a hot topic of late..
Do you already have any supporting engine Mods installed that are CARB compliant?
If so, what are they?
If you’re seeking some extra power, don’t trave 250 Miles a week on the freeway, I’d suggest that route. Beast bang for your buck.
Cams that require a CPU Tune (reflash) for the engine to run correctly, will cause issues, be picked up as soon as you plug-in.
-John

Last edited:
It would depend on the type of emissions test your state performs on your year car. If it's just a plug in codes/readiness test like pa has then it's unlikely your car will fail if properly tuned. If it's a tailpipe sniffer test then there is a chance the car may fail. Best to get in contact with a tuner in your state and ask.

I was thinking about camming my 2001 GT but i live in maryland and the state has strict emission laws and i was wondering if anyone knows how i can get around them if i can. I daily drive my mustang. Any help would be appreciated
:doh:
Hi, I’m my response I’d left out my point in paragraph #2 of my last response, and that’s GEARS, if you want to wake your Pony up, 4.10’s or 3.73’s are the most cost effective improvement for HP to money. Adding a CARB legal Cool Air intake (affix the CARB Exemption (e/o) sticker clearly visible on the CAI) be certain it runs without a tune (buy a Tuner & reflash to stock for Inspection for a 15-20HP gain, bringing you to around 300 BHP (255-270HP at the wheels) reflash back post Inspection) is excelled only by Nitrous, which is slightly higher in cost, 4-6 shots with a standard bottle). I’d WET NOS’d a 97’4.6l 2V SOHC PI motor with the an exhaust, OE. manifolds & gears I’d run with 100 NOS shot’s so it became (always less than/equal to 50% of Crank HP) & it worked good. The following gif file is the perfect rendition.....:burnout: ITS the best bang for the buck, and no battling CARB laws that PA has adopted some of.
On the other hand, bolting up a 50 state legal Kenne Bell is an easy 100-150HP that a stock 4.6l 2V can reap without concern, bone stock, if it’s in the budget.. and you can change pulley size for greater gains, with a 2nd tune for more aggressive timing, fuel maps, injectors. You’ll be surprised at how easy it’ll be to do this once a year.
-John