Can't roll fender lips??

Hey, I just got off the phone with my dad and he told me that our body guy said that he can't roll the fender lips because it wouldn't be strong enough. The car is an '88 GT if that makes any difference from the newer cars. Is this B.S. or truth because I was really looking forward to trying to stick some 18 by 9 and and 18 by 10 inch FR 500s under the car and from what I've heard it won't work without the rolled lips.

• Sponsors (?)

I rolled mine with little issue. As long as the lip is still there and you don’t completely fold it over when you roll it, you're not going to be sacrificing structural integrity to any great extent.

Yes it can be done. No, you do not want to do it after paint. Explain to him you do not want it to be flat. You just need it up to a 45 degree angle. The jegs ad at the top of this page is proof that it can be done.

hell, i just cut mine out and sprayed some undercoat on them.

people have been doing it for over 20 years, i think itll be fine.

i didnt have mine rolled with 18x10s in the back, but i had over 3" fender gaps. had it that way for over a year. sometime in that year i did cut the side wall of the a tire, but i drove on them till the day i peeled them off.

I rolled my 81 notch. If went fine. 3lb. sludge with mini handle....carefully tapping from one end to the other. Do a little at a time, and take your time.

This might not be the best idea if your car is already painted. I didn't ruin my paint, but I was painting it anyways, so I didn't care.

Also, IF YOU HAVE RUST, BE CAREFUL. My lips were soild except for one tiny spot on each side. When it rolled in, it pulled the outside wheel lip edge in just a little bit. Well, I had body work that still needed to be done, so a little Bondo filled that in perfectly.