Carb tuning and suggestions plz

stang387

Mar 2, 2007
89 mustang
DSS 306 9.5 compression
4:10 gears
t-5 transmission
Victor jr. intake
Non-smog legal AFR 185's. Not ported but 100% polished.
Z-303 camshaft
1 5/8 long tubes, full mac exhaust.
Holley blue/regulator
10 Lbs vacuum at idle.
I have a 6 / 5 power valves in.

I had a similar setup 5 years ago and it flew with my holley 4150 750 DP.
Im using the same carb and its being a bEaCh!
It being a pain to get setup due to the big aftermarket parts on such a small engine with little vacuum.

Im needing advice on what to do.

I having a hell of a time getting my fuel ratio above 11.8 at idle and it even drops when i ease into it. I did drill a 1/16th hole in the primary butterflies and it seemed to help alittle.

It had a bad stumble at idle. The Innovate fuel/air meter said it was super lean during the stumble so i drilled out the shooter .004 and that fixed the stumble.
When i increase speed from a dead stop the stumble is gone, so i ease into the throttle then punch it. It gets even fatter. 11-10 and even to a high 9 on fuel ratio. I can probably fix the fat condition by changing jet sizes.

What is driving me nuts is the 11.6 at idle. I screw in the four adjusters slowly and equally in and it wont fix the 11.6. Then of course if i keep screwing in the four adjusters it creates a bad idle tries to die.

Took the carb off to turn the secondary idle up just alittle so i could close the primary as much as possible so less air would pass the idle transfer slot.

Today i drilled the idle air bleeds in the primary .002 and that still didn't change the A/F at idle.

Im about to give up and by some speed demon prbably in the 670cfm range.
Im dont want to put a small carb on the car and kill the 5,000+ powerband.

At the track i don't see that car ever getting below 5,500 so i would hate to choke the engine with a small carb.

Any idea welcome

• Sponsors (?)

Your not running a 750 with that setup are you? I wouldn't go over 650, you don't want to run too rich.

no, A 650 would be better off the line slightly but with the cam and the heads he is running the carb size is fine. I ran a 650 dp on my 306 with canfield heads and X-cam and a cam and then went to a 750dp and picked up a consistant 1.5mph in the 1/8.

no, A 650 would be better off the line slightly but with the cam and the heads he is running the carb size is fine. I ran a 650 dp on my 306 with canfield heads and X-cam and a cam and then went to a 750dp and picked up a consistant 1.5mph in the 1/8.

As long as it's tuned properly. I would think a 750 would be too much. I added a 750 when I went with my blower and it was plenty big.

Any more ideas would be appreciated.

The 750 is big for a 302. But when your setup for racing its fine.....it just needs extra tuning on the idle circuit.
I took a similar setup to the track 5 years ago and made one pass. Because of a mistake putting an evac system on a car with mufflers it only went 11.88 blowing oil everywhere. Evac doesnt work on cars with mufflers.....wish someone would have told me :)
Its getting 10 lbs of vacuum at idle.

Im thinking about putting a 650 demon on but im afraid of losing HP from 5,500 to 6,800rpm's.