Electrical Ccrm Problems!

JustMan

May 5, 2017
Okay so a while ago I was having problems with my CCRM where it would die on me while driving and the odometer would read "-----" I would also hear a loud buzzing coming from the CCRM. I checked all the grounds i could find and sill nothing. I finally decided to buy another one off someone on ebay. After installing it the problem seemed to go away. I thought that was the end of it until now I was driving down the road and all of a sudden the car shut off and the odometer was reading "-----" again. So I pull over to the side of the road and open the hood to hear a small buzzing noise coming from the CCRM again but not nearly as loud as the last time it buzzed. I then take off the negative terminal and let it sit for about 2 mins then put it back on. The car starts and the odometer is not reading the "---". Before I bought the CCRM off ebay I went to a junk yard to try to find it first but they had all been taken out. One of the people working there had asked what I was looking for so I explained to him and then he told me that if i replace it it would later on do the same thing. He said something about people wiring them directly or something like that. I didn't really understand what he meant but I still ended buying one off ebay. While looking it up again I found this thread with some guy having the same problem (the buzzing) only thing different was his theft light was blinking. At one point he couldn't find a solution so he took it to the ford dealership and the tech there wired the CCRM differently to get it to start. Post is here: https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...m-buzzing-clicking.866120/page-2#post-8705539 .
Should I try to do this or what would be the next thing to check? This might have been what the guy at the junk yard was talking about.

• Sponsors (?)

At one point he couldn't find a solution so he took it to the ford dealership and the tech there wired the CCRM differently to get it to start. Post is here:
Should I try to do this or what would be the next thing to check? This might have been what the guy at the junk yard was talking about.
A couple of things. To me it seems very short sighted to re-wire/hack up a perfectly good car unless there are no more options.

Have you even considered the possibility that your problem could be external to the CCRM? Have you:
  • Tested the CCRM ground?
  • Tested the ignition switch?
  • CONFIRMED that you have the CORRECT CCRM for your application? After all Ford has made changes over the years AND there are differences between the V6 and GT versions.
  • Inspected the electrical connection AT the CCRM? I have helped more than one person where the problem turned out to be pushed pins from an over heated CCRM connector.
Here's some information on how to perform a voltage drop test. The technique will be important for you to use to actually CONFIRM the quality of the CCRM grounds (the black wires and the black wires with the white stripes) all the way back to battery negative.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...perform-charging-system-voltage-drop-test.56/

In addition it is possible that this problem is in the ignition switch. To rule this in/out we need to know the status of power in fuse F2.34 when this problem is happening.

1999-2004 MY fuse panel schedule:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...r-swap-wont-fire-please-help.html#post2669271

OBTW, my vote is a bad CCRM ground since this problem started while driving. However it wouldn't be a surprise to see a burnt/dirty/wet/corroded CCRM connector as the cause.