Changed Fuel Filter...info and questions

wjfawb0

Founding Member
Jun 7, 2002
Georgetown, KY
Hey all, I changed my oil and while I was at it I changed my fuel filter this weekend too (10,500 miles).

The svt cobra owners manual says FG-800A (or 900A, can't remember exactly) for the fuel filter, but when I went to Advanced Auto Parts their computers say FG-986B. I bought the 986B and went to do the work at my cousin's garage.

After we got the car on the frame lift we moved a clamp on the filter to reveal the numbers on it. Sure enough, the filter from the factory is a 986B. So advanced was right and the manual was.... different I guess.

My cousin bled the fuel rail before he removed the fuel filter. We just got a little trickle of gas. We used a small plastic fuel line tool to pop the filter off instead of using one of the scissor type hand tools. The plastic ring thingy was easy to get up on the fuel filter. Through the gap in the IRS. Only took about 10 minutes total.

Should I be worried about air bubbles in the fuel line or anything that might cause problems? Is there any way to bleed the fuel lines, like using the schrader (spelling?) valve on the fuel rail? Am I paranoid?

I did get on it pretty hard in my cobra on my interstate trip back home tonight, and I noticed that about 4 times when I went WOT I got a sorta violent studder that jolted the car when I first stepped on it at about 70mph in 4 the gear. Any ideas on that? I was thinking maybe belt slip or clutch or something. The air in the fuel line didn't strike me as a possibility until a few minutes ago.

Thanks for any input.

-Jason

• Sponsors (?)

dont worry about any air in the line your being paranoid... the only thing that you could have done is install it backwards (it has a arrow on it indicating the flow direction) thats the only thing related to the filter that you could have messed up... the volent shudder sounds like a misfire... have you noticed this before the filter change... BTW what year cobra is this... the 96-01 4 vavles i have seen have problems with the plug wires causing a misfire and that would cause a jerk/buck under load....

just saw your car is a 03... those have coil on plug ign... but it still sounds lto me like you are having a misfire under heavy load... when you get it to do that see if the check engine light flashes sometimes it will flash during it indicating a misfire... but it might not because it only flashes the light or sets a code po30X if it is a severe misfire under most conditions... the x would be what ever cyl is the one missing... like number 8 would be po308....