Clunk in the trunk. What the?

saveferris

Sep 22, 2002
Hoping there is a common answer for this. Own a 69 convertible. When I go over larger bumps like a set of train tracks, I have a clunk which seems to come from the rear half of the car. I do not need to be traveling fast at all for this to happen. Has anyone run into a similar problem? If anyone has an idea of what it may be please post. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

It's possible it's just a busted shock.

Make sure everything in the rear suspension is tight (shocks, springs, spring plates etc)

As you are tightening, make sure to inspect for any parts that may be broken!

Also check the upper shock mount hole for any cracks in the sheet metal surrounding it!

Good luck, I hope it's just a shock!

I had a similar problem also, i would hear a loud clunk sound coming from the rear of the vehicle whenever going over railroad tracks, big bumps or potholes. It turned out that my exhaust was making contact with the differential, thus the clunk sound. Also check your spring plates for cracks and broken mounting holes, i had to have the driver side plate welded back together.

Good Luck :nice: and hopefully its something simple and easy.

mdjay said:
It's possible it's just a busted shock.

Make sure everything in the rear suspension is tight (shocks, springs, spring plates etc)

As you are tightening, make sure to inspect for any parts that may be broken!

Also check the upper shock mount hole for any cracks in the sheet metal surrounding it!

Good luck, I hope it's just a shock!

Having a similar sounding problem, I went out and looked at my car last night. Sure enough - the upper mounting sheet metal is broken through. Does anyone know of a place to get repair metal for it. It looks like it would be difficult to weld in a patch because it is recessed. I think the easiest thing to do would be to cut that section out and replace it.

Or maybe cut that section out, repair it, and weld it back in. Just when you think you are done with the welder!

:bang:

Frank