Cooling Fan Doesnt Work

Hi! I have a 98 v6 3.8l sn95 that we basically pulled out of a field...got it running, but we can't seem to get the darn fan to work! We've replaced the radiator, thermostat, coolant reservoir, ccrm box, spark plugs, wiring, coil etc. Prior to buying the fan itself, i was told to try replacing the circuit for the fan first. All well and good, but the circuit that's in there is a 30A 14v maxi circuit which NO ONE seems to carry and i can't even find online. The guy at NAPA had me try the 12v one but still not getting anything. Short of doing a manual fan option, any ideas on either how to get my hands on the 14v one...or any other possible fixes? Thanks!!!

• Sponsors (?)

The difference between a 12 volt fuse and a 14 volt fuse is not the reason why the cooling fan isn't working. Beside if you want to know for certain then confirm there's power on the load side of fuse.

Some model years of V6 Mustangs will also use an automatic resetting circuit breaker for the fans instead of single use fuses. One method to trouble shoot a CB is to remove it and test with a volt-ohm meter (VOM). Check to see if it's passing a current.

Here's a sample replacement.

LITTELFUSE ACB30

Do you have an ODB2 scanner? If you did it might make short work of this problem. What could an ODB2 do for you? How about the ability to "command" the cooling fan to run. Or ask the PCM what the motor's coolant temperature is. This is a great help to the trouble shooting efforts as it gives "focus" to trouble shooting activities. IE is this a sensor problem, wiring problem, control problem or PCM problem.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/resources/forscan-odb2-scanner-w-elm327-usb.57/

Last edited: