Do I have a leak or am I paranoid?? :(

HogStang

Mar 25, 2004
Hey guys, I had my rear end changed from the stock 3.27's to 3.90's and It's been *very smally* leaking. The first time it leaked it was the front pinion seal, second time (second time) it was the rear gasket. Now they guy who did them put a Ford gasket in (now, but before he used a generic one) and he also painted the rear end part black. Well.. I ran her from one end of the freeway to my house and came back checked underneath and I don't know if I'm paranoid or not, but it seemed to be dirty/greasy feeling.. but no oil was apparent. How exactly can I tell if I have a leak and does anyone's rear end feel a little greasy? Do you guys think this is a leak or am I buggin out?

• Sponsors (?)

sorry dude, i just almost choked when i read that.

i had my gears installed today and they reused the factory seal (didnt remove it). no need to fix something that isnt broken... i have heard using generic seals will cause leaks, both at the pinion gear or the dif cover. Degrease your rear end at a pressure washer (*kak..*choke*...) and get it good and clean. CD2 makes a nice strong (but safe) degreaser that i would suggest using.
then take it out for some high speed romping. i would say a good 15 miles of 90mph+ at least. the higher/longer the better..

thats really the only way to tell. It will be greasy at point where things meet, not just around the housing.

Ok, so it's alright if there's a little greaseyness around the housing as long as it's not of a thicker oil nature? Thanks for answering my question by the way. I appriciate it. I just want to make sure everything is ok with my setup before I get my blower slapped on.