doing harmonic balancer for first time

mattys91gt

Feb 3, 2022
Plymouth Massachusetts
doing the harmonic balancer for the first time and I think I have the wrong install kit it's a little pulley kit from harbor freight and now I'm kinda trapped cause rookie me has messed up everything I touch on this 91 gt and the front end is up in the air should the car be on the ground so it goes on straight any help or stuff I could use at home to get it on

• Sponsors (?)

Stock style balancer or an aftermarket/race model? Some balancers are slightly undersized and supposed to be honed for proper interference fit on crank, Romac and Pioneer come to mind. My Powerbond stock style went on without heating.

I get the engine near TDC on the #1 hole then shove as much rope into the spark plug hole as I can, as the installer is tightened the rope will keep the engine from rotating. When done just rotate the crank back a little and pull the rope out, don't forget to leave some hanging out the plug hole to pull out.

Attachments

• Resized_20220409_234304.jpeg
    Resized_20220409_234304.jpeg
    394 KB · Views: 53
I think you have a little ways to go, there is a bevel on the back of the balancer ring, that should be really close to the inner edge of the pointer or about 2" from oil pan to the back edge of the outer ring, that shiney part of the balancer snout should not be visable.

I think you have a little ways to go, there is a bevel on the back of the balancer ring, that should be really close to the inner edge of the pointer or about 2" from oil pan to the back edge of the outer ring, that shiney part of the balancer snout should not be visable.
ok ty cause I was trying to set it to 90 foot pounds if that's right and it was still going in should I take the bolt out and put the tool back in or go with the bolt

Reactions: 1 user