dss racing 7 qt oil pan?

Triz

Jun 6, 2004
I was wondering if anyone was using this oil pan on there 302, And if you had any fitment issues and or quality issues with it? I want it to also clear my probe support, but dss only knows that it works with there main support. Any info or pics of pan would help.
Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I havn't heard of too many guy's running the DSS oil pan. What I will tell you is DONT use a Milodon pan....I'm running a Probe main support on my stroker as well and I made the mistake of going with a 7qt. Milodon pan. First of all the pan fit like crap, mainly due to the fact that it was slightly warped. It didn't clear the oil pump very well, so I had to slightly massage that area with a hammer. The oil pickup they supplied also fit very poorly, and took ALOT of modifing to get to work proparly, and of course it didnt clear the Probe support at all, so once again the hammer came into play there. Another problem/design flaw that really pissed me off is the drain plug on the rear sump is located at the back of the sump. Well once I put the Mcleod SFI bellhousing on there was no way I could get the drain plug out so I had to cut a hole in the bellhousing and shatter plate so I could get the plug out. Another draw back to the drain plug being located there is at least a 1/4" of used oil will be left at the bottom of the pan when changing your oil, thus there is no way to get any fillings or any other crap that might be stuck at the bottom of the pan out. The drain plug SHOULD be located at the bottom of the rear sump so that the oil can be proparly drained. I have also now heard that Milodon pans are commonly known for cracking at the seams...Wish I would have known this when I bought it. Anyway sorry about the venting just a little word of the wise so you dont end up with the same headaches I did. Should have went with a Canton...I have heard nothing but good things about there oil pans and will definetly be what I purchase next time.

Shon

I have the Moroso Pan and so does my friend who is also running a 351 setup and we love our pans, cant say a single thing wrong about em. He ordered the miloden one and sent it right back after seeing mine before i put it on. The only pita feature is getting to two of the pan bolts on the rear of the block, but other than that no problems at all. I'm not sure if all 7qt pans are like that either, i never looked at the miloden my friend had. A little off topic about the dss pan, but thought i would share anyways. Just wondering but why the dss pan? No complaints about them, just wondering. I am also running a windage tray and main girdle support. Had to slightly bump the pan for my girdle, but other than that fit like a glove. Oh and mine came with its own dipstick and i did have to buy the pickup, but that was like $30 so no biggie there.

reason for looking at the dss pan is that it is a t-sump so saves a few inches of clearance and the kick outs are made to clear long tube headers, hadn't heard of anyone running one.

Triz said:
reason for looking at the dss pan is that it is a t-sump so saves a few inches of clearance and the kick outs are made to clear long tube headers, hadn't heard of anyone running one.

Stay away from the T pan...I had one for a 302 made starter removal a complete nightmare with long tubes. The deep 7qt Cantons do not hang low, barely past the K-member if any. If you go to my web page and look in the customers section you will see a vibrate orange car that the motor is being dropped in, it has a Canton T style pan, but we ran shorty headers. I think I have a pic on th engine page of a deep sump Canton, the block is blue.