E-cam... Any significant gains on a stock cobra?

Quick5pnt0

Founding Member
Aug 21, 1999
north eastern PA
Just kind of thinking out loud here so please bare with me...LOL

Is there any significant power/tq gains by adding a e-cam to a stock cobra? How about a "bolt on" stock cobra? (tb/maf/headers/catback)

Like i said, its just something i'm wondering. I'm trying to think about what i should get for christmas and i really want to add some power to my car. I'm definately doing a gear install during the spring, and probably the suspension soon too.
I've thought going to nitrous in the future but after looking at some of the prices and the fact that i'd have to always be filling the bottle i think i might be better off doing h/c/i instead. With that said, i'm definately going with an e-cam when i do go with the h/c/i because i need to stay emissions legal so i can pass the smog tests coming to my area soon.
I doubt i'll be doing heads/intake before the end of next summer at the earliest, and i dont really mind doing the cam now if its going to make a power gain thats worth the trouble.
I guess i'm just trying to weigh all of my options.

One last thing... when i finally do h/c/i how much better does a edelbrock performer or rpm flow compared to a stock cobra? Is there a significant gain with going to the edelbrock with good heads and cam?
Thanks again
Mike

• Sponsors (?)

i wouldnt think so. the cobras got the cast iron gt40 heads right?
i really dont think they flow all too well, maybe better than the e7's but not tremendously well. i had a 5.0 that dyno'd 226rwhp. i then did the trick flow intake, e cam, and 1.7 roller rockers.... with the combined mods i only picked up 10 rwhp. i was sooooo pissed.
if people are making serious numbers with those stock heads then go for it, but if not i would make a headswap to some afr's or trickflows in your near future :D

Chopped Liver said:
No. it isn't

94-95 Stangnet sticky

10.E303, Valve Lift Intake w/1.6 rockers-.498, Valve Lift Exhaust w/1.6 rockers-.498, Duration Intake (at .050)-220, Duration Exhaust (at .050) w/1.6 rockers-220, Lobe Center-110, Emissions Legal-No

You sir are incorrect, as is the FAQ.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=FMS-M6250E303

"Those Motorsport guys live, eat, and sleep Ford. This is an excellent street cam with low and mid-range power and good idle. Emissions legal, great for use with Superchargers and a five-speed transmission."

FastmanGT said:
You sir are incorrect, as is the FAQ.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=FMS-M6250E303

"Those Motorsport guys live, eat, and sleep Ford. This is an excellent street cam with low and mid-range power and good idle. Emissions legal, great for use with Superchargers and a five-speed transmission."

Lol, Oh well, if it's wrong then it's wrong. I suck. Take it up withy my superiors, the moderators in charge.

I wonder if anything in that sticky is correct then. :p

I'm going to have to agree that the E cam is emissions legal... BUT (don't you hate that word?) Basically it is legal with no other mods, and your timing set stock. With mods you can probably get away with turning the fuel down with a AFR and reducing your timing. At least that's what I plan on doin!

Thanks for the help guys. I'm not really that concerned with it being emissions legal because nobody will know its in there. What i am concerned about is that it need to pass emissions testing.
I think i'm going to hold off on the cam for now until i do the heads and intake.
For now i'm going to start adding all of the bolt on's. I can't friggin wait til spring for my gears!
Thanks again
Mike