Everywhere I take my car they screw something up

fox-gt

Feb 28, 2004
TN
I went to get my oil changed at goodyear this morning. I only go there because I have free tire rotation and the oil change is $14.99 They cannot find my wheel lock key. They don't believe me when I tell them they are the only ones that would have lost it when they last rotated my tires. They had moved my car back into the parking lot. After some serious bitching, they put it back in and began breaking and stripping the locking lugs. After getting them off, the manager comes over and tells me they found the wheel key in someone's tool box, that mechanic was off today. They put normal lugs on and "ordered me a new set of locking ones" I was like WTF. Then some how broke a weld on my hpipe. I was there 3 hours from a oil change and tire rotation only to then drop it off at midas. I am getting to where I really hate taking my car anywhere to get anything done to it. I work about 50 to 60 hours a week, I don't have allot of time or knowledge to do it myself. :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Well atleast they are trying to make it right by buying you new lugs. Can I ask why you don't have a/the key?

Not to point fingers but the only person who has control over keys that lock valuable things for me is me or members of my family that it has been deemed appropriate.

I mean it sounds like you go to this place a lot (enough that a mech has the key to your lugs) and that you obviously trusted them. Why not see if they will make the exhaust right as well.

It's an easy mistake to forget about the key and put it with your own tools. I've come close to it on a busy day, but always seem to remember....

I will tell you though, owning a mustang you better learn some "know how." These old cars will need some TLC and a customer who knows nothing can easily be taken.

Fred

oh did they pocket it last time they worked on your car? I didn't even think of that possibility.

Anyway talk to them about the exhaust. maybe they will pay for the reweld.

I took my car to Mr.Tire for a trans fluid flush. I drove away and noticed that distinct burning trans fluid smell and drove back up there. The mechanic comes out and we pop the hood only to find a huge funnel all bent up and STILL in the fill tube. How do you close the hood on top of that and not know???? luckly the dipstick stayed on the radiator!
Shops suck man

DmnStr8 said:
Well atleast they are trying to make it right by buying you new lugs. Can I ask why you don't have a/the key?

Not to point fingers but the only person who has control over keys that lock valuable things for me is me or members of my family that it has been deemed appropriate.

I mean it sounds like you go to this place a lot (enough that a mech has the key to your lugs) and that you obviously trusted them. Why not see if they will make the exhaust right as well.

They took the lug key the last time they rotated the tires. I had assumed they put it back on the lug wrench where they got it. I guess they forgot. I have been going there for 15 years. Midas fixed the weld for a few buck, so I'm ok with that, it was just inconvient. It does make me a little mad knowing if I had got a flat I could not have put on the spare.

Boyz, it's time to start doing your own oil changes.

I kept trying to convince a buddy of mine to do his own oil changes as most of these Mr. Lube mechanics tend to screw up the simplest oil-changes. He wouldn't listen. Now he's telling me that somewhere at one of these shops the mech overtightened one of the pan nuts and stripped the thread.

It's either order a new pan, or try your luck with a self-tapping pan-nut.

I do my own oil changes and sometimes I work at a quick-lube type shop when they need help. The guy who owns it is good been there for 25 years or sumthing and the guy working for him is one of my good friends who builds and drives his own race carand I trust them. I do go there time to time but I bring my own oil and filter and change it my self and give them 3 bucks for disposal of the old oil. Plus they still use the pit so it makes for a quick oil change. I just bring my car in if there not buissy it's a win win situation.

I dont trust those places at all, they dont use a torque wrench when the put your wheels back on, they just throw a jack anywhere under peoples cars, and they cant even do a simple thing like change the oil correct. Unless you are holding their hand the entire way through, its a lose, lose situation.

I have found that if you want something done right, and with care, you have to do it yourself. Nobody is going to take care of you car like you do. I also went to a goodyear up here in CT to get the alignment done. Everything seemed fine until the next day when I was driving around. I heard a cracking sound and then there was a continuous rattle from the left front shock tower. I looked under the hood and found that the guy who worked on my car had broken the backing to one of the camber bolts so that it would not tighten correctly. It was just sitting there loose. He decided to just leave it and let me figure it out. I went back and they tried to deny it. In the end, I had them put a temporary fix until I get new camber plates when I drop my car. Lesson learned? Don't go back to goodyear :(

I went to jiffy lube cause I was too lazy to change my std tranny fluid my self, I went to go get a coffee and come back to see that the guy was going to put gear oil in my car, I spent the next 10min arguing with him that it takes atf, the guy finally goes to look it up to prove me wrong. It scares me to think of how many of those he has screwed up, and don't they pay attention to the colour of the fluid that come out?

I will always take the time to do it myself, from now on.:nonono:

Any place that hires just any person off the street with basic/limited automotive knowledge, and then expects that paying them 6 or 7 bucks an hour is enough to make them take pride in their work is going to be a bad place to take your car to.

Changing your oil is about the most basic thing you can do.. there are elderly people who still get up there and do it. If you don't have time.. MAKE time, or, statistically speaking, you may be the next "victim" of a place like this.