Exhaust Help

RustyNacho

Apr 19, 2017
First post, first time foxbody owner. Just picked up an 89 notchback with a 2.3 and the exhaust needs to be replaced. Im looking on rock auto and they have walker exhaust and the catalytic converters are listed as front and rear. Did these cars come equipped with 2 cats or are there two different style exhaust systems. I am currently not with the car at the moment or I would get my butt under the car and look.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I cannot guarantee this answer to be correct- but I had a '91 2.3 and it only had one converter. Is your exhaust completely missing? Or can you take a look and see how many you have.

A better option for you might be find a locally owned exhaust shop and just have them replace what's bad-probably be cheaper than piecing the system together.
One more thing- Welcome to Stangnet :)

Thanks for the response and sorry I'm using voice command on my iPhone that's why my writing is not making sense..to=two. I looked under the car and I only see one catalytic converter towards the rear of the main pipe coming out of the exhaust manifold, closest to the intermediate pipe. The entire exhaust is just rusted not worth patching up. Before I order from Rockauto I just want to make sure I'm ordering the right stuff. Not sure why they are listing a front catalytic converter and a rear catalytic converter but that is confusing me. To convertibles have a different set up. I'm kind of shocked at the lack of support on this because the Ford Mustang is an extremely popular car. I could see if I was restoring a 72 Peugot...

I'd still vote to take it to a muffler shop lol..
Emissions in some states may require multiple converters etc?:shrug:
Mustang support is very good on this site-just sometimes takes a little while to get any traffic on your thread.
There's a guy on here-he's a parts guru,maybe he can answer better @74stang2togo

Oh snap, The Matt-Signal!
My '88 2.3L had two cats from the factory. Just got to work and running on 3 hours of sleep and a can of NOS, so I'll dig into the Walker catalog tomorrow and see what's up.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks guys don't mean to sound impatient..just a little frustrated. This is the walker diagram. oh and i dont go to the shop for anything. Installing the exhaust is simple just want to order once.
Screenshot 2017-04-20 at 9.01.37 PM.png

Hey man I can understand-My Car(s) only goto the shop for alignments..I only suggested it to save you a little money. Looking at that diagram,it's potentially 5 separate pieces with 5 separate shipping charges. Then you add in the exhaust hangers and gaskets.3-4 more shipping charges. Kinda kills the rock auto savings lol. But... If you look at the sponsor section-Rock auto does have a discount code