fiberglass hatch,can you use lift supports?

or do you have to use a prop rod?guys with fiberglass hatches,please show pics of how yours is held up(as long as its not a stick lol)i am about to purchase one,but want to make shure it will function and look good on a streetcar.

:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Don't have pictures (no camera, sorry). But I do have a fiberglass hatch. I bought it on eBay for $175. It was supposedly a Cervini's, but I can't find it on their website. I used stainless steel "hood pins" to pin it on in four places. This probably won't work well for a street car, but for my race car it works very well. ;)

I asked this a long time ago and found that you CANT use the factory lift shocks but it you could find something much weaker the same length it would work. the problem is that their location is weaker on the fiberglass hatch than steel and as you pull down on the hatch you could break it in two..I would just prop rod it. Does anyone have any pics or opinions on the fiberglass hatches?? I really want one but I don't want something all warped that wont seal or fit good

88GTtom said:
if it dosent take much to hold em up, what about using 2 bad shocks that normally wouldent hold up the stock hatchback? :shrug:

thats what i was thinking,not like it would be hard to get some bad ones.i just didnt want to try and end up screwing up a $400 hatch.seems like so far ive heard about 50/50 split of people saying to get and not to get,doesent seem like too many have them.

I wonder why you need to use it? I mean i would never put fiberglass on a street car, you spend lots of money on an item and even more for paint, don't risk it. My best friend has a 10 sec drag LX, and I SAW him crack his hatch in literally two with stock supports. Sure they are light as a chicken bone, but they will snap just as easily as one. I would say pin it down, unless you absolutely have to use it, then just hold it in the center with your hand when you need to use it.