Found this on the net. Pretty damn economical!!!

Click here for Hardcore Racing Tips!
Racing Articles
Homemade Horsepower
by Fredrick M. Trippler Jr. ©2004

I have a white 95 Cherokee, 2.5 L , 5 speed, 2x4 SE with black trim. When I first bought it I couldn't even keep up with traffic! I'm not rich by any means but I can be quite inventive and mechanicly inclined when I need to be. So most of what I've done I made myself and/or got the parts cheap or for free. I've spent 22 months on these projects,researching and testing. They do work and you will see a difference, believe me. Try these at your own risk to persons or property. I assume no responsibility or liability for anything posted here, including any federal, state and/or emmission laws, manufacture warrentees, insurance and/or safety. These are just ideas I'm passing along.

- A "true" cold air intake. $5.50 (From Home Depot)I made it from 3" PVC drainpipe. First, I removed out my entire air box. Next, I cut a 3" hole in my fender wall and stuck the pipe through my fender above my tire. I have plenty of room for the air filter because I have a 3" suspension lift with stock height tires except they are 1" wider. I glued on a 90-degree elbow and another short section. I had to make a brace to hold it in place so it didn't bounce around. I also had to reroute my CCV and Charcoal Tank lines. I drilled holes in the rubber elbow coming off the throttle body and used gasket sealer to hold them in place.

-High flow cone filter. ($25.00 from Pep Boys) I clamped it on the end of the intake pipe so it sits in my wheel well right behind my bumper. I've had no problems with rain. I don't advise driving in deep water though. (Laughing)If you are planning to, don't cut the hole and keep the cone filter under the hood.

-E-Ram air. ($25.00)(Homemade) I went to a marine supply store and bought a 4" 230 CFM 12 volt DelMar Bilge Blower. I used 4" to 3" PVC reducing couplings to make it fit. ($2.50 from Home Depot)I installed it in my intake with a switch in my door panel. When I flip the switch alot of extra cold air is pushed into my intake. A 2.5 liter engine naturally consumes 86 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) in 5th gear going 65 mph. So that means that I'm pushing 8 PSI (Pounds Per Square Inch)Not bad for a plastic blower (Laughing)

-Flowmaster Muffler.($38.00 on E-Bay) After the shop welded it in I had them cut off the rest of my exhaust pipe to lessen some back pressure, I only left 1". Then they added an elbow and now my exhaust is in front of my rear tire. I also had them shorten the pipe that's between the cat and the muffler to make it all fit right. I set off everyones car alarms when I drive by (Laughing)

-High Flow Universal Cat ($80.00 from Pep Boys)

-Shorter serpentine belt. ($30.00) that didn't include A/C, which also eliminated 2 idle pulleys for less parasitic loss. I also removed the entire compressor and hoses to lesson weight by 30 Lbs. Do NOT bleed the A/C yourself. Any A/C shop can recapture the freon for you, then you can remove the compressor.

-Throttle Body Spacer. (Free) (Homemade) I cut it from a PI" plastic cutting board and used high temp gasket material on each side. I had to also put a 7/8ths" spacer under my throttle linkage bracket as well. I used a couple nuts and washers. Be sure the cable is stretched all the way out or it will idle real high. The spacer keeps the throttle body cooler.

- 4.0 Throttle Body ($42.00 from E-Bay)

-Copper core spark plugs. ($5.00)

-160 Degree thermostat.($5.00)and added Water Wetter. ($8.00) The colder your engine runs the more horsepower it has. Make sure you warm your engine a good 5 minutes when it's cold.

-Manifold Intake Heat Shields. (Homemade) ($15.00) I purchased a roll of high temp gasket material from Pep Boys and three 10' rolls of 2" wide aluminum tape from a hardware store. I cut two 4" x 6" rectangles out of the gasket material and covered them with several layers of the tape. I slipped them between the intake manifold and the exhaust manifold to insulate the intake manifold from the heat. I secured them with coat hanger wire that I taped between the layers. Next I wrapped the entire intake manifold with metal heat tape all the way to the air filter minus the throttle body. After that, I took a turkey baking tin,($1.50)smashed it flat, folded it in half and wired that under my intake manifold. I drove for an hour, stopped, pulled the hood open and stuck my hand on the intake manifold. It was cold! (Try that at your own risk as well)

- Removed factory 30 lb. rear bumper and brackets and replaced it with a 65" long 3" dia. schedule 40 ABS plastic pipe with end caps which weighs next to nothing.($15.00 from a plumbing supply store) I secured it to the back end with two 3" pipe clamps after I painted it black. I also painted behind the bumper area black also. Call me crazy but my steel jeep is still stronger than todays plastic and fiberglass crap.

-Complete Tune-up.($70.00)Cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, all fluids etc.

-When your all done with everything, detach your positive battery lead. Turn your ignition key fully forward and hold for 30 seconds. Re-attach the positive cable. This will wipe your computer memory clean. It will rev high for a minute then settle down. Now drive "normal" for a couple days to reset everything so it can relearn the new mods. (Free)

Total Cost about $950.00! Not bad huh. If you had a pro shop do all this with performance name brand parts, were talking thousands! Some people call it "Ghetto" or "Redneck" mechanics. All I can say is that's it's way faster now and I still have my savings account intact. Hang onto your stock parts. You might need them come smog testing time.

Remember also, less weight = more horsepower & better gas mileage. Anything you can do to lesson that is a big help. Every 100 lbs. you can get rid of is 3 additional horsepower. It adds up real quick.

One thing for sure, I can keep up with traffic now!

-Another added bonus is my MPG went from 12 to 17.

-Load it like a Freight Car
-Polish it like a Show car
-Drive it like a NASCAR

• Sponsors (?)

Agreed

Yeah I agree. But the thread isn't about spending $3000, now is it? Besides, not everyone has the cash to sink into thier rides.

01 Cobra white/tan interior
DSS Forged 5.0 Stroker Kit
DSS Pro-Lite Custom 10cc Dish Pistons
Bored .020 over
Crower Stage 2 billet camshafts
Ford Racing FR 500 heads
Polished upper and lower intakes
BBK 1 5/8 long tubes
BBK off road H pipe
Flowmaster 2 chamber
99 Lighning MAF
2004 Cobra injectors
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
Procharger P-1SC, 3 core intercooler
6# pulley
billet oil pump
Steeda progressive rate springs
Subframe connectors
Maximum Motorspors 4 bolt caster/cam.
QA1 tubular K member
B&M ripper short throw
2004 Cobra wheels
MRT B wing
Autometer Phantom guages in triple pillar
5" Autometer C2 tach w/ shift light
Bullil style pedal covers
Steeda quadrant adjuster
Ram stage 3 clutch
900 watt Rockford Fosgate amp
2 10" Subs
XM Terk Commander
Sirius GTR Replay tuner
Sony Xplod cd player
Kenwood 6x8's
Polished Cobra door sil plates
Weapon-R race harness x2
Nitto drag radials w/3 large nails and screws in them due to my f'ing apt. complex construction
Hawk street compound pads
Valvoline Syn power oil

Dan_Soprano said:
ummm.......ok. I'll still keep my $3000 Kenne Bell blower and crappy gas mileage, and be happy knowing that I have a beautiful car that can beat the living piss out of 95% of cars on the road.
97.6% actually

i just did the math:nice:

hotmustang331 said:
Hey Dan, 587 now? What did you do man? You gain 30 HP like its nothing :rlaugh: ...KB :drool:
All in the tune.........and good air. Got redynoed today in better air, and let her cool down for about an hour with the IC running. It's amazing how much timing these car's pull when the IAT temps get over 100 degrees. On the terminators each degree of timing is worth about 12 hp. Keep the IAT's down and your golden. On the street not a problem, but on the dyno with minimal airflow from the fans, the temps get up there quick. New #'s from today are in my sig.

Do you want to relocate it like I did mine? Just give me the word and ill PM you pics of my mount location. It helped a ton on my N/A GT, runs VERY consistent now and doesnt feel like a dog after it gets hot setting at a light or traffic, ect.

They should have gave the terminators a knock sensor and ditched the IAT sensors :nonono: . Theres always a stand alone managment too though :shrug: .

01SVTStroker said:
Click here for Hardcore Racing Tips!
Racing Articles
Homemade Horsepower
by Fredrick M. Trippler Jr. ©2004

I have a white 95 Cherokee, 2.5 L , 5 speed, 2x4 SE with black trim. When I first bought it I couldn't even keep up with traffic! I'm not rich by any means but I can be quite inventive and mechanicly inclined when I need to be. So most of what I've done I made myself and/or got the parts cheap or for free. I've spent 22 months on these projects,researching and testing. They do work and you will see a difference, believe me. Try these at your own risk to persons or property. I assume no responsibility or liability for anything posted here, including any federal, state and/or emmission laws, manufacture warrentees, insurance and/or safety. These are just ideas I'm passing along.

- A "true" cold air intake. $5.50 (From Home Depot)I made it from 3" PVC drainpipe. First, I removed out my entire air box. Next, I cut a 3" hole in my fender wall and stuck the pipe through my fender above my tire. I have plenty of room for the air filter because I have a 3" suspension lift with stock height tires except they are 1" wider. I glued on a 90-degree elbow and another short section. I had to make a brace to hold it in place so it didn't bounce around. I also had to reroute my CCV and Charcoal Tank lines. I drilled holes in the rubber elbow coming off the throttle body and used gasket sealer to hold them in place.

-High flow cone filter. ($25.00 from Pep Boys) I clamped it on the end of the intake pipe so it sits in my wheel well right behind my bumper. I've had no problems with rain. I don't advise driving in deep water though. (Laughing)If you are planning to, don't cut the hole and keep the cone filter under the hood.

-E-Ram air. ($25.00)(Homemade) I went to a marine supply store and bought a 4" 230 CFM 12 volt DelMar Bilge Blower. I used 4" to 3" PVC reducing couplings to make it fit. ($2.50 from Home Depot)I installed it in my intake with a switch in my door panel. When I flip the switch alot of extra cold air is pushed into my intake. A 2.5 liter engine naturally consumes 86 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) in 5th gear going 65 mph. So that means that I'm pushing 8 PSI (Pounds Per Square Inch)Not bad for a plastic blower (Laughing)

-Flowmaster Muffler.($38.00 on E-Bay) After the shop welded it in I had them cut off the rest of my exhaust pipe to lessen some back pressure, I only left 1". Then they added an elbow and now my exhaust is in front of my rear tire. I also had them shorten the pipe that's between the cat and the muffler to make it all fit right. I set off everyones car alarms when I drive by (Laughing)

-High Flow Universal Cat ($80.00 from Pep Boys)

-Shorter serpentine belt. ($30.00) that didn't include A/C, which also eliminated 2 idle pulleys for less parasitic loss. I also removed the entire compressor and hoses to lesson weight by 30 Lbs. Do NOT bleed the A/C yourself. Any A/C shop can recapture the freon for you, then you can remove the compressor.

-Throttle Body Spacer. (Free) (Homemade) I cut it from a PI" plastic cutting board and used high temp gasket material on each side. I had to also put a 7/8ths" spacer under my throttle linkage bracket as well. I used a couple nuts and washers. Be sure the cable is stretched all the way out or it will idle real high. The spacer keeps the throttle body cooler.

- 4.0 Throttle Body ($42.00 from E-Bay)

-Copper core spark plugs. ($5.00)

-160 Degree thermostat.($5.00)and added Water Wetter. ($8.00) The colder your engine runs the more horsepower it has. Make sure you warm your engine a good 5 minutes when it's cold.

-Manifold Intake Heat Shields. (Homemade) ($15.00) I purchased a roll of high temp gasket material from Pep Boys and three 10' rolls of 2" wide aluminum tape from a hardware store. I cut two 4" x 6" rectangles out of the gasket material and covered them with several layers of the tape. I slipped them between the intake manifold and the exhaust manifold to insulate the intake manifold from the heat. I secured them with coat hanger wire that I taped between the layers. Next I wrapped the entire intake manifold with metal heat tape all the way to the air filter minus the throttle body. After that, I took a turkey baking tin,($1.50)smashed it flat, folded it in half and wired that under my intake manifold. I drove for an hour, stopped, pulled the hood open and stuck my hand on the intake manifold. It was cold! (Try that at your own risk as well)

- Removed factory 30 lb. rear bumper and brackets and replaced it with a 65" long 3" dia. schedule 40 ABS plastic pipe with end caps which weighs next to nothing.($15.00 from a plumbing supply store) I secured it to the back end with two 3" pipe clamps after I painted it black. I also painted behind the bumper area black also. Call me crazy but my steel jeep is still stronger than todays plastic and fiberglass crap.

-Complete Tune-up.($70.00)Cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, all fluids etc.

-When your all done with everything, detach your positive battery lead. Turn your ignition key fully forward and hold for 30 seconds. Re-attach the positive cable. This will wipe your computer memory clean. It will rev high for a minute then settle down. Now drive "normal" for a couple days to reset everything so it can relearn the new mods. (Free)

Total Cost about $950.00! Not bad huh. If you had a pro shop do all this with performance name brand parts, were talking thousands! Some people call it "Ghetto" or "Redneck" mechanics. All I can say is that's it's way faster now and I still have my savings account intact. Hang onto your stock parts. You might need them come smog testing time.

Remember also, less weight = more horsepower & better gas mileage. Anything you can do to lesson that is a big help. Every 100 lbs. you can get rid of is 3 additional horsepower. It adds up real quick.

One thing for sure, I can keep up with traffic now!

-Another added bonus is my MPG went from 12 to 17.

-Load it like a Freight Car
-Polish it like a Show car
-Drive it like a NASCAR

i'm speachless (laughing):rolleyes: