Foxbody Idle issues

I have a 1991 Lx 5.0 with a AOD transmission.
My Idle issues is whenever I start the car it’ll idle fine. Once I start driving and come to a stop the car will stay in an accelerating feeling. The rpm’s are suppose to drop at 800-900 idle, it’ll stay at 1200rpm at a light/stop sign. If I put the car in park the idle will hang at 1200rpm…Once I kill it and restart it’ll idle fine at 800rpm. Sometimes it won’t do this and idle / drive fine. Randomly the car will revv by itself and drive with me on the brakes. I have a newer IAC from oreillys on there now.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Different car ( Merkur ) but I fought this for months in my Merkur.... I actually sold the car as is, and the new owner told me it he found a plugged vacuum line that was the problem..

Last edited:
I have a 1991 Lx 5.0 with a AOD transmission.
My Idle issues is whenever I start the car it’ll idle fine. Once I start driving and come to a stop the car will stay in an accelerating feeling. The rpm’s are suppose to drop at 800-900 idle, it’ll stay at 1200rpm at a light/stop sign. If I put the car in park the idle will hang at 1200rpm…Once I kill it and restart it’ll idle fine at 800rpm. Sometimes it won’t do this and idle / drive fine. Randomly the car will revv by itself and drive with me on the brakes. I have a newer IAC from oreillys on there now.
my 02 did the same stuff. replaced IAC with the same stores brand. occasionally does it still, yet way better than before. i I think its only going to be completely fixed once its swapped for a Motorcraft IAC to be honest.