Gauge cluster stopped working

2004 GT 4.6 single overhead cam. Gauge cluster stopped working I pulled the fuses for the cluster #5 and #21. They are ok. I put them back in and started the engine and the gauges worked. Thought maybe the pins were losing contact. Drove the car and in about 1/4 mile the gauges shut off again. Then the engine (after a few feet) started missing. Got back to the house and watched the gauges. They would flicker and for a second the engine cleared up and then gauges would flicker off and the engine miss returned. I have had the car for three years and this is the first time for this problem. No engine light I have a code tester but haven't checked that out yet, I will clean out the garage and put it in the garage and check for codes. Later run out of time so will do that tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for any help. I wonder if I could have a bad ground. Don’t know were they are.

• Sponsors (?)

Well that Ok but the car has a after market cool air filter and the only sensor on the is the MAF sensor. I know where the sensor would be on the stock set up. But on the after market set up there is no place for it. i am about to trade this Mustang in for a Yugo.

If you still have the OEM filter and housing, reinstall it along with the sensor.

If you do not the OEM pieces, maybe there's a pick-and-pull by you? The other option would be to shop for another aftermarket unit that uses all the stock sensors in their OEM locations.

The other, other alternative would be a tune or aftermarket ECU. This a pretty expensive option to keep an aftermarket air filter that's worth [Zero] hosepowerz :O_o:

Here are the symptoms : Turn on key (not start) the the fuel gauge comes on (some times). When it does come on and you turn the key to start the engine the gauges work. For a short time. Then the gauges quit working and the engine keeps running just fine. Once the gauges quit working. If you shut the engine off and turn the back on without starting the gauges will not work. When you first turn the key to energize the starter the gauges will jump like they are getting power but the needled only jump and don't come on.

The clusters are notorious for weak solder joints. At this age, a lot of them are starting to fail. Another common symptom is a flickering odometer display on the 99-04 cars.

I honestly couldn't tell you which solder joints might benefit from a resolder to restore the cluster. My guess is it's one of the main power connections from the harness to the board. I wouldn' rule out a bad connection with the harness plugs either.

Unfortunately, I can't be of much help beyond this. I have electronics experience, but even I would need to play around with a bad cluster on a bench with a test harness to figure it out.