Gentex Mirror Install

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
So has anyone taken the time yet to install a Gentex rear-view mirror?

I managed to score a Gentex 453 pretty cheap on Ebay. The one I bought has the homelink garage door buttons and a Temperature display. I didn't go for the one with the compass/temp combined (who uses the compass when they drive).

A gentleman on Ebay makes the wiring harness kits for these for around $30ish. Hardest part is getting the temp sensor and pigtail as they tend to be vehicle specific to the vehicle the mirror is from.

Mine is in the mail, so haven't installed yet. Wondering if anyone else has?

Gentex.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I saw a thread on Corral about these mirrors. I wonder if there is some install advice in that thread? I've been wanting one of these but would like it to have the map lights in the mirror. I couldn't care less about temp or compass. Maybe we could re-configure that display to show AFR or MAT temps? @a91what @stanglx2002

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe we could re-configure that display to show AFR or MAT temps? @a91what @stanglx2002

I reviewed that thread on corral and it didn't say much that was helpful.

I did read on another forum that when using a GM-sourced mirror, the resistance values for the ambient temp sensor are the same as the ACT values. So you could actually wire it to the sensor and have it display that temp. Some of them will do two temps (inside and outside).

I just wanted homelink so I didn't have to carry the clunky garage door opener with me . Just so happened the one I got had outside temp too.

I'll be honest with you, I took it out of my 2011 and tucked the wiring in my headliner, replaced it with a regular flip mirror. After a year the temp/compass mirror was seperating and rattling like an SOB. Youre starting to make your fox into a luxury car! Soon it will feel like an AMG Mercedes instead of a fox!

So has anyone taken the time yet to install a Gentex rear-view mirror?

I managed to score a Gentex 453 pretty cheap on Ebay. The one I bought has the homelink garage door buttons and a Temperature display. I didn't go for the one with the compass/temp combined (who uses the compass when they drive).

A gentleman on Ebay makes the wiring harness kits for these for around $30ish. Hardest part is getting the temp sensor and pigtail as they tend to be vehicle specific to the vehicle the mirror is from.

Mine is in the mail, so haven't installed yet. Wondering if anyone else has?

Gentex.jpg

giphy.gif

I could do electrical wizardry all day.

But yanking the motor to do my H/C/I? Eh...maybe I'll get to it this year.

(No seriously...this year I need to do it.)

I have a Master Tailgaters mirror that looks very similar to yours but has a screen built in for a backup camera. I test fitted it but haven't done nothing else with it. I'm just a little iffy on the size as it's bigger than the stock mirror and looks almost out of place.

When I was in my 20s it was all about ripping the a/c out to make the car 0.01 second faster.

Now that I'm nearing my 40s, it's cup holders and garage door openers

Reactions: 6 users
As we get older we get wiser, our bank accounts grow (for some of us). We learn that we can have certain amenities like cold air and comfy seats and still go faster than most vehicles on the road because we either added more CID or boost. It's not one or the other anymore, we can have BOTH!

I don't have the mirror in hand yet. Need to get it so I can provide a model number to the gentleman on eBay who makes wiring harness for this kit.

after that it looks like I'll need to go to the junkyard to get a Nissan air temp sensor and pigtail as I can't find one for a reasonable price.

Mirror showed up today. A little disappointed to see that it's a ccompass mirror and not a temp mirror. Still, cheap enough that it doesn't matter and an easier hook up with 3 wires only (hot, constant hot and ground.

Wire harness on order . It is about 1" wider than a fox stock mirror

IMG_6621.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
I just replaced one of those in a 2014 Infinity QX50. The hook up is pretty easy. Every other pin on the bottom row.

Because of your thread i really contemplated keeping the old one. Auto dimming and a compass would be nice additions.

I think im going to use the one from GM vehicles with the screen built in. Then i could used two switched cameras. That way i can see the front and rear of my car. Helps a little when parking to avoid high curbs. It also works to record front and rear whike driving.

The camera ones are pretty cool. Down the road I might look into one. I'm into this for under $50 which is what LRS charges for a new fox mirror.

My fox mirror was delaminating, so I needed a new mirror anyway.