HELP! no power!

Hi! My 69 just died on me, well here's the whole story
a couple of weeks ago, I tried to start her up, and got nothing, I checked all my connections and everything was good, checked my battery, OK'd ground cable and + cable are new, alt is new.
then today, I tried again, battery is still charged good, so I thought I tried, after spraying some starting fluid, much to my amazement, she crank right up, had her idling for about 15 mins no prob! so I thought it would be good to drive her around. after a couple of blocks she just died when I came to a stop sign.
I am so dumbfounded here guys, somebody told me last week that it could a fusible link- where is this found? please help me out guys, thanks alot!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

MrBobMarley said:
Kinda sounds like a carb issue. Mine did that same thing once. Ran fine when idling. Put it in drive and it would sputter and die. Rebuilt it and all was well again. Maybe time for a rebuild?

Well, i dunno about that, cuz my carb is new too, and Im getting fuel into the engine, but when I try to crank it, there's nothing, no lights, no crank, no anything. if it was a fuel issue, I would at least crank, right?

Does it only die when you come to a stop after you get it running? If you keep the rpms up, does it stay running? If it were electrical, I would think it wouldn't even crank or start at all. Your post sounds like two troubles, gas and fire.

2nd Mustang said:
Does it only die when you come to a stop after you get it running? If you keep the rpms up, does it stay running? If it were electrical, I would think it wouldn't even crank or start at all. Your post sounds like two troubles, gas and fire.

well it all of a sudden just died, it stays running even when it's was just idling around 700-800. exactly, it didnt start nor did it crank at all. it was this way 2 weeks ago when I wanted to start it up, nothing, no lights even.
about gas, i doubt it's that, i get gas from the carb to the intake and if it was gas related, i would have lights and it would crank, right? or at elast hear the starter solenoid click. am I right??

At1Maverick69 said:
well it all of a sudden just died, it stays running even when it's was just idling around 700-800. exactly, it didnt start nor did it crank at all. it was this way 2 weeks ago when I wanted to start it up, nothing, no lights even.
about gas, i doubt it's that, i get gas from the carb to the intake and if it was gas related, i would have lights and it would crank, right? or at elast hear the starter solenoid click. am I right??

If your loosing all power, check both ends of both battery cables, and if you have those ****ty clamp on terminal ends, take them apart and clean them too. and clean all the ring connectors on the solinoid.

I had the exact same thing happen in my '65 (headlights work then don't work, cranks then nothing, idles then dies for no reason). Turned out, after hours of work with the voltmeter, that the old rubber connectors at the firewall weren't allowing current through consistently. When you plug them together, sometimes the bullet ends push through the back of the connector without you noticing resulting in poor or no continuity. Have a look, it'll only take a minute to rule it out.

Same thing with mine. The connections at the fire wall sometimes come loose, check them out. I was just driving mine down the street at night, ladydyda, and then everything shut off. Scared the crap out of me. I couldnt see a thing.