Hi, new to the forum!

VPT

Oct 3, 2009
stevens point, WI
Hello, I am new to the forum. Searched google for a mustang forum and signed up to the first one that wasn't owned by internet brands. lol

I do all kinds of work on cars for income with my specialty being fabrication. I have built numerous cars and trucks from my very first 77 T-bird to my latest 88 honda CRX. I love anything with a motor and can appreciate any type of modifications.

My latest build of the CRX can be seen here if anyone is interested: SwapHonda: Civic/CRX (pre-91) : My crx build

My last build before that was a 65 mustang coupe with a newer roller 302 and AOD that I sold to a guy out of kentucky.

Reason I signed up here is because I plan to drag my 68 mustang coupe from nevada out of storage soon and start the build up of that and share it with all of you.

My name is Andy and I am a car nut! :banana:

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks guys! Yes I plan to take pics and post them from start to finish like the crx. It will be a couple weeks at least though before I get the mustang out. I have to prep the crx for storage so I can get it out of the shop and make room for the stang.

I am torn on the power plant option for the stang as well. Maybe you guys know some pros and cons to each and could help me pick on out.

My first choice is a 03+ cobra supercharged 4.6 DOHC. I can find a donor car for about 6K

My second choice is a 99+ supercharged 5.4 DOHC lightning. I can find a donor truck for about 4500ish

Or I could find a fox chassis with efi and just supercharge that power plant, but that would entail allot more work to get the motor and fuel system up to snuff to handle boost.

Secondly I am torn between an automatic transmission or manual. If I go with the lightning donor it will come with an automatic. If I go with the mustang donor it will most likely come with a manual. Also one bonus to using a mustang donor is I can possibly use miscellaneous other parts for the 68 like center console, gauges, seats, maybe suspension, etc.

What are your ideas, comments, suggestions?

Personally, I like the simplicity of the 5.0 / T5 swap. It is a fairly straight forward swap and is definitely easier. With a supercharger that would be sweet. This is definitely the most commone of the 3.

I think that the 5.4 Lightning drivetrain would be awesome, but I don't know what it would take to get that automatic transmission to fit. I have never seen this done.

The Cobra 4.6 is a sweet setup too. Quite a few people on this site and another forum I go on have done that.

What it comes down to, is what do you really think?

I don't know what to think really. I would like to stick with factory supercharged power plant just for the simple fact that everything is built for boost already including the ecu. It will be harder to install in the car but I have no problem with cutting and welding.

I like the truck idea just because I think it would be a stronger platform to start with and would be cheaper to get. But I also like the cobra donor because I can use so many other parts from it.

Theoretically the 5.4 should be able to produce more power and the truck tranny should be able to hold up better right?

How do the manuals in the cobras hold up? Any known problems with them?

From a cool stand point, go with modular.

From a practical stand point, go with the 5.0. Since it is basically the same engine that came with the car. Everything you can imagine has been done with the engine. You can make very good power from it, and the aftermarket for parts and power adders is huge.

The downside of the modular is modifying the engine bay for fitment, and wiring in the engine.