How do I have SN host my pics?

85GTStangGuy

Advanced Member
May 19, 2021
Florida
What is the procedure for having StangNet host pics I want to include in posts? Do I create an album? and where? Are there size restrictions or recommended sizes the pics should be to display best?

You can add them directly to your posts by using the attach files tab at the bottom of each post. If oyu want to upload to an album, use the "media" tab on the top of the page.

1712064852203.png

Is that preferable to using the "insert image" icon at the top of the reply box? What's the difference? Didn't someone (maybe you) say it's better if pics are hosted here? That way they won't be lost or result in dead links in the future.

Sounds like something I would say.

I use the insert image option in all my progress thread, and 10 years later the pics are still there.

The difference is the pics are buried in a thread so if you want to see them you need to search for them. Using the media tab you can create an album and the pics are all in your albums and you can browse and insert them into threads.

Really it all depends on what you are doing. If you have a question on a bracket, perhaps it's easier to just insert the photo into the specific thread. If oyu have nice pics of the car, interior, wheels, etc that you can see yourself inserting into different threads over time, than an album might be a better idea.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users
It depends on what you want to do with the images...

If you are posting an image to a thread to help illustrate a point etc.., it is better to just drag-and-drop, or attach the file to the thread. That way, it remains in the thread. This has the best chance to resist the changes of time and updates and so on. The image is married to the thread resisting broken image links through updates and the like.

If you plan to use the image over again or host the image to another site, it is best to create an album. The advantages are that the image is married to the album. So even if the image is linked to a thread and let's say that link is broken somehow, you will still find the image in the album. Images hosted from your album are Watermarked with a Stangnet logo. It has been a benefit to some in the past when they discovered their images being 're-used'.

Note about images on Stangnet. All images are copied, re-sized, and stored. You can upload any image that you like but just know that it's going to get resized to no larger or better quality than 1080p.

You will find the media control tab at the top of the screen:

1712095768494.png

Take your time. It can take some getting used to :O_o:

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Is that preferable to using the "insert image" icon at the top of the reply box? What's the difference? Didn't someone (maybe you) say it's better if pics are hosted here? That way they won't be lost or result in dead links in the future.
The pics shared here are working for most of the time.

The pics shared here are working for most of the time.
With the exception of one instance of data corruption in the early 2000's, every image posted [on] Stangnet, is still here. I forget how much was lost but it was several months of threads and their associated images.

Those threads you see on SN with broken images are/were hosted on other sites (Image Shack, for instance).

The rule of thumb [now] is:
If it's Mustang related, host it here. If it's for the "LoL's" or anecdotal, host it off-site with image tags.

We like to preserve all the Mustang stuff. I am working next, on an efficient way that we can host our own videos. Stay tuned ;)

Reactions: 1 user
With the exception of one instance of data corruption in the early 2000's, every image posted [on] Stangnet, is still here. I forget how much was lost but it was several months of threads and their associated images.

Those threads you see on SN with broken images are/were hosted on other sites (Image Shack, for instance).

The rule of thumb [now] is:
If it's Mustang related, host it here. If it's for the "LoL's" or anecdotal, host it off-site with image tags.

We like to preserve all the Mustang stuff. I am working next, on an efficient way that we can host our own videos. Stay tuned ;)
Nice! Looking forward to that!