How do you remove an 8.8" axle tube?

68DARKHORSE

Oct 9, 2003
Austin, Tx.
Do you just drill out these buttons?
attachment.php

• Sponsors (?)

I think its like a 12 bolt chevy, you have to grind off that tab fluch and drill it out. The the tubed are pressed into the housing. Im not real for sure on the 8.8 if thats how you do it or not. Try posting it over on the late model forum, those guys would proably know. Why do you got to remove the tubes,bent?

This is an Explorer rear end. The pinion is 4" to the right of center. The left axle is 3" longer than the right axle. I'm thinking of cutting 3" off the left tube and using 2 short (right) axles. This will make my wheels/tires fit better also.

68DARKHORSE said:
This is an Explorer rear end. The pinion is 4" to the right of center. The left axle is 3" longer than the right axle. I'm thinking of cutting 3" off the left tube and using 2 short (right) axles. This will make my wheels/tires fit better also.

You'd be better off, and save money, by going to the boneyard and buying a Mustang housing.

I have a Mustang 8.8" I could use. That would require a pair of 31 spline axles($200+). One short Expy axle would be much cheaper ($30-$75)as there is little demand for them.

I've also considered using the Expy axle tube ends that I already have on the Fox housing. The Expy uses larger bearings and 3" tubes like a 9". I haven't measured the bearing yet.

It still seems like the easiest thing to do is to cut 3" off the left tube on the Expy and use 2 short axles. This will require no custom parts.

Note: The Expy rear I am working with came from the factory with 3.73:1 gears, 31 spline axles, T-Loc, and disc bakes.