How does the SC work

rdefino

Founding Member
Feb 6, 2001
Mass.
I have a 2003. Now I know that the SC is spinning all the time, but it doesn't give the boost till you punch it. If i slowly step on the gas the speed increases but the SC doesn't boost. So what excatly triggers the boost?

• Sponsors (?)

rdefino said:
I have a 2003. Now I know that the SC is spinning all the time, but it doesn't give the boost till you punch it. If i slowly step on the gas the speed increases but the SC doesn't boost. So what excatly triggers the boost?
Simply answer… Vacuum. The blower has a boost bypass valve that prevents it from making boost unless the engine draws a certain amount of manifold vacuum like when you go WOT. No use in giving the engine boost under part throttle because this would generate unnecessary heat and increase fuel consumption.

U.M.

be careful though....I go into boost as early as 1/2 throttle.

I have heard about swaping the boost bypass, but to me it sounds "not right"

What do you think U.M.? Boost bypass bypass a good idea or no?

SVT98Snake said:
be careful though....I go into boost as early as 1/2 throttle.

I have heard about swaping the boost bypass, but to me it sounds "not right"

What do you think U.M.? Boost bypass bypass a good idea or no?
Depends on how it's done really.
Completely disabling the boost bypass is a bad idea. It's there for a couple reasons one being safety. If the IAT 1 or IAT 2 temps are too high the ECM will not allow the SC to create ANY boost by opening the bypass. Of course if you have manually disabled the boost bypass this safety feature is gone. I have my boost bypass altered by way of my tune. Under normal conditions with a stock tune the boost bypass is opened inbetween hard WOT shifts. I think this is part of the torque management system? This can cause the car to bog. This can also be done away with via the tune without manually disabling the bypass thereby leaving the safety aspects of the bypass still in tact! If you disable it under certain conditions (like WOT shifts) in the tune versus a complete bypass then I don't see a problem.

U.M.