How hard is it to install U/D pullies?

• Sponsors (?)

Its not that hard you'll just need a harmonic balancer puller, but you will need a new shorter belt because the size of the pullies is being changed to make more power. I can't remember if some kits have an alternator pulley but that is the hardest you might need an impact wrench or big breaker bar. Hope that helps.

If you use Steeda pulleys you can reuse your stock belt. You will also need a torque wrench and the afore mentioned impact wrench for the alt pulley. Also, make sure you use some silicone sealer around the crank bolt washer.

since you've got a 5 speed, it won't be too bad. The crank puller can be rented from autozone. The worst part of it is trying to get the crank bolt/pulley off. the bolt on mine was insanely tight and took about half a can of PB blaster to get loose, along with 4 guys, 2 breaker bars and 3 sets of vice grips along the belt holding it from slipping.

Apparently, the little layer of sealant that is at the top of the bolt that makes a seal so water can't get in the crank bolt thread had worn away and the crank bolt was slightly rusted in there. And having an auto, made it that much worse because when I tried to loosen the bolt, the whole crank would turn and there's nothing you can do to hold it (unlike the 5 speed guys who just have to throw it in a gear). Supposedly, there's somewhere on the torque converter that I could insert something like a wrench or screwdriver but there wasn't.

Anyways, if you've got the steeda pulleys, or the MAC pulleys (which are crap btw), then you'll reuse your factory belt. But, if you've got a fair amount of miles on the car, just replace it. It's inexpensive and better to change it than have the thing break and shred to pieces during a thunder storm, scraping up stuff on the engine, ruining stainless steel braided hoses, and shredding the hood blanket beyond recognition and you have to jog 2 miles (luckly only that far) during said thunderstorm to advanced autoparts for a new one....:fuss:

Oh one more thing, do yourself a favor and put the timing adjuster on. Trust me, you will save yourself a lot of time and hassles because it goes on right over the pulley.

I reused the stock belt with my Steeda's. Hardest part is going to be your crank pulley with the harmonic puller. I dont have one, and all the freaking auto part stores in my area wanted to charge me by the hour to rent one. Not to mention I dont have an impact wrench for the alt pulley. I just had my shop slap them on lol, price of pulleys + install was $200. Just remember to really goop up that keyhole with sealer if you do it yourself, its easily overlooked, but can lead to some serious problems.