how much HP can a stock T5 handle??

jaidedeye

Apr 4, 2004
Goldsboro nc
well there is a 89 GT convertable for sale on base ......its a 5 speed with 81k on it. the car looks like it has sat outside since it was new so the top is pretty much shot ant paint and seats look like crap.......well the guy is asking 2,000 for it wich is a rip off but it says or best offer too.....i wanna offer the guy like 800-1,000 for it and use the tranny to put a T5 in my car, the tilt wheel, and some other stuff. then ill just part out the rest of it,

so how much power can a stock T5 handle???

• Sponsors (?)

Alot depends on how you drive. I know a couple guys putting down over 450rwhp with T-5's. But they don't run slicks and don't basically try to race all the time. I'm not saying they don't run them hard at all just not alot. I think the average rating was like 300 on torque which is usually how a tranny is rated.

kinda off topic, but 2000 for a GT vert is pretty fair. without seeing it, it sounds like a good deal.

on the t5 note, ill see how it does when i spray a 100+ shot to it (about 450HP total) in a week or 2.

89 T5 is rated at 285ft/lbs, it will all depend on how it was previously used. Ive run a 91 trans(300ft/lb) for 2 years on slicks launching at 4500rpm with nitrous and havent broke it yet, but it was brand new on the inside. As soon as they start to get sloppy or the least bit noisy, its time to change them out. Most guys wait too long. I have a backup T5z waiting for when the 91 starts to go, and then Ill rebuild the 91 to z spec or maybe Gforce. make sure you upgrade the quadrant, shifter, and front bearing retainer while its out. You can download the service manual from the TTC website for free, T5s are not hard to tear down and inspect or repair.