how much is too much for a cobra????

MR GT

Dec 13, 2003
South Florida
I see 94-95 cobras for sale here and on local classified ads my question is how much is too much for one of these cars? they seem to vary so much...lets say a 95 cobra with 83,000 miles clean....how much would you pay for it??????
I don't even want to get into the 93 cobra, owners think they have a diamond studded engine block..... :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

It's very particular to the area and the condition of the car. Around here, a good condition 94/95 Cobra would fetch anywhere been 9000 and 11000, most likely. A GT would fetch 1 or 2 thousand less.

Dave

I payed 7000 for a '95 with 128k miles on it. Did I ever look back? Not once I crushed my first ricer in second gear. Around here (Kentucky) there arnt that many cobras for sale of any year. Most of the ones i see are later models like '98s and '99s. They sell for around 14,000 so.....i dunno. My car was in good condition other then needing new back rotars. I feel I payed a good price.

When I went shopping for mine in the western U.S....I ONLY saw them between 10,500 and 12,500. They were all 89k+ mile cars too. Wound up going to Cali to get a black on black original owner one for $11,500. It was well taken care of though. Don't hesitate on spending the money too much though...it may hurt at first but every time you sit down in your car you'll be proud that it's a Cobra. :flag:

I just checked the blue book for a '94 cobra. I think it was about $8,800.

I live in a place with nice dry air, but if I were looking in any other place, my first concern would be rust.

Most 90's cars have not had a chance to pick up too much, but back in the day, I bought a rusty '67 GT and repaired it badly. At the time I did not have the money or equipment to fix it properly, but now I realize that car was a bad investment because the money and time required to fix it the right way was much more than the ammount I would have had to pay for a rust free example.

You should be picky because these cars are available in good condition with reasonable mileage. I think the prices are starting to bottom out for the 5.0's because a plain Jane 60's car with a v8 will fetch $5,000 if it isn't too badly beaten up. A low mileage origional K code GT will bring more than $20,000, probably more than $30,000. Money you spend now to get the best example you can find should pay off pretty quickly if you keep it nice.

If you just want a driver, or a race car, get the best deal you can find.

September 13, 2003(19th b-day)

Dealer was asking 9500, but he was an idiot and didnt know jack about cars and picked out every imperfection in the car and told him that it was going to cost a ton of money to fix even though I knew that it wouldnt cost hardly anything to fix.

I expect that the price will continue to fall slightly for 94/95's, but not very fast. It almost seems like it's gone up a little bit in the last couple of years. Definitely the 5.0 is the reason why their holding their value as well as they are. For the same price as a good condition 94/95 GT you can get a 2000 or 2001 GT, if you shop. One person I know just sold his '96 Cobra for $9000. That's what I paid for my 95 GT :rlaugh:.

Dave

I got my '94 for w/ 120,000 miles and nice mods for $8800 (saleen hood, spoiler, exhaust, cobra r's, etc). I think it was a great deal, mainly because despite the high miles it was obvious the car had been well taken care of. My first cobra was also a '94, got it with 60,000 miles for 12,500! The price was high but that car was in absolutely AMAZING shape. I agree that people ask outrageous prices for '93 cobras, i have no idea why. IMO they're much uglier than the '94's with a little less weight, hardly cause for a 3 grand price premium! To each his own however, some people love those foxes.

Wait until you see the prices for the convertible Cobras. I paid $14.5K for mine in April of 2002. It had 44,000 miles. It now has 59K miles.

I was so pissed when I saw a hardtop convertible sell for $13.5K a year ago. I was kicking myself for not waiting. I bet if I waited though, I would never have seen that hardtop.