how much power can a stock aod handle?

load71

Oct 28, 2004
just like the title says. how much power can a stock 5.0 aod tranny handle? I do not want to convert to manual, and i do not want to go a C-4 because i do a lot of high way travel so i can not afford to lose overdrive. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

If you check out the article in this months 5.0 Magazine there is a guy with a stock AOD running high 10's with around 400 RWHP or so.
Not saying it would be safe for every day driving but it is an example. :D

ponycar17 said:
From what I hear, OD will be the first to go... Try NOT to race in OD, and don't do the 1-D-1 shuffle, and the tranny will be fine for a long time...

It looks like you're basically stock on the motor end though, so what's the issue?...

the issue is that i am planning on doing a rebuild this winter. i am going to go with central coast mustang's 342 stroker engine with afr 185 with a holley intake. so i was wondering how long the aod would last. I dont plan on racing too much, it is going to be may daily driver, so i need something some what reliable

ponycar17 said:
From what I hear, OD will be the first to go... Try NOT to race in OD, and don't do the 1-D-1 shuffle, and the tranny will be fine for a long time...

It looks like you're basically stock on the motor end though, so what's the issue?...
i read somewhere that 1-d-1 shuffle is true but if you must race do the D-wait for 2 then switch back to -1 then -D then -OD i have had no problems

so from what i am understanding my trans is not going to last to long after i install this engine. how about AOD from PERFORMANCE AUTOMATIC. The company www.bieberfever.com sells thier trannys. They have an AOD level 3 that can handle up to 550 horses for $1,905. I guess this would be my only optition.