How solve this problem?? gas guage

fmd28

Jul 7, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
I have taken my GT to the Local Ford dealer ship Twice so far and they are completely uneducted. I had a minor spin out a couple months ago and when I got the car back I noticed that the Gas guage "low gas" light came on. I filled the gas tank up and the pump stopped at 11.5 gallons. Wierd but i thought nothing about it (3 month down time). Week later The low light came on agian so that told me that it was about 13 gallons. When I filled up the pump stopped at 12.2 vise 14.2 as I expected. I got suspicious and waited one more week. This time when The light came on solid I filled the car up and DING 11.58 gallons. So I took it to the dealer ship and told them the problem.

They used the eletronic detector it sayed no problems. I said :bs: They looked at it again and they replaced the fuel sender assy. So I took possesion of the GT and guess what . . . ANYBODY . . . It still there.

So I took it back and they said there's nothing Wrong. :bs: :bs: :bs: So they said they can pull the tank and check something but It would cost ME. I said :bs: :bs: And I left.

So now I need some suggestions on how to deal with this problem. Oh and saying going to another dealership. . . well I live on GAUM. . . one dealership on island. I believe it has to due with the leveler or probe that sences the lvl in the tank or it is off allignment. But am not to familiar how gas guages work in cars.

Anyways, i would appreciate any help.

• Sponsors (?)

are you assuming the first time the pump stops, the tank is full? Some pumps trip the stopper thingy after gas has ran out all over the side of the car, some trip it when you still have half a tank to go, some seem to work properly and only trip it when it gets close to full. Either way, I always let it click 3 times, and check to see that I pumped somewhere near what I think it needs before declaring the tank officially "full."

well the light should light up at about 13 gallons right? well mine lights up at about 11 right now. I know that its fault due to the distance to gas light are now constantly wrong. Also, i know how far i can drive until the tank is near 14 gallons.

well i know my 2004 GT's gas tank is 15.6 gallons (according to the manual) but the "low gas" light comes on at about 14 gallons...so we have a reserve when the "low gas" light comes on so it's not all that stupid...just don't drive for 30-40 miles. you can go at least 20 miles...

anyway...what exactly did the dealership have to repair when you had your spinout?
i know when i replaced my gauges for a different color, my needles weren't placed exactly where they were supposed to be so now when i fill my tank up the needle isn't a little above full. so maybe your needle is off or maybe your gas tank is smaller? haha....all i can think of honestly. unless maybe the sensor is off? :shrug: