How to prevent spark plug blowout

• Sponsors (?)

I use NGK plugs and change them every 10k. Now with 80k on the car and never had a blowout. I change them hot, cold and everything in between. I coat the valleys of the threads with anti-seize. Torque? Finger tighten them untill they bottom out then give them a nice crank down with a ratchet. Just like any other spark plug. If you can't finger tighten them till they bottom out you are cross threading it, which is probably the leading cause of spark thread blow out.

I have never been able to get a new, cold plug to thread into a hot head so I don't know how people are changing their plugs hot. It always feels like I am cross-threading them unless I wait for the motor to cool.

But yeah, finger-tight, then just snug with a ratchet driver. There is no need to try to get plugs super-tight. If you put them in right there is no need to check the torque later.

My pax side #3 blew out @ 77k miles. I bought the cheap helicoil and with the head still in i installed it. I took my time and used grease to catch the shavings cleaning them off every 1/8th to 1/4 turn. The car has 107k on it and Ive been driving it like I stole it ever since. I havent dared to touch that plug however Im installing nitrous in the next few weeks so its going to have to come out for the NGK TR6 plug.

Timeserts were $$$ last I looked and you need to remove the head. If I was going to go that route id listen to rconaway and buy aftermarket heads or '03, '04 boneyard heads.