How to remove power steering pulley?

• Sponsors (?)

You can get the puller/installer kit for alternator and powersteering pulleys at your local auto parts store. I was interested in getting one yesterday, since my pump is whining and leaking in my F150. The kit ran about $80 at my local place.

Jon

red94fiveo said:
I've been making half-ass attempts at taking mine off for about a week. I just need to go buy a pulley. That hexdrive nut that holds the pulley on is a b****!

What looks like a hex doesn't mean jack to remove the pulley.....a puller will have a 3 1/2" long bolt that goes deep inside the "hex"...you thread that into the pump...the puller has a split cylinder, put the halfs over the "groove" in the pulley, then you slide a sleeve over the splits to hold them....grab 2 wrenchs and start turning....the long bolt in the pump is stationary, rotate the other bolt and it "pulls" the pulley off the shaft....

so you can bung up the hex all you want...it dont matter... :D Dont screw up the threads inside that pump shaft though.... :( you wont be able to use the puller than... :bang:

Autozone rents em...22.00 for 3 days or so...I just bought the thing...works sweet...puts em back on too...