Paint and Body How to undercoat the car?

AnthonyA1234

Aug 17, 2020
Florida
Got a few surface rust patches on the underside of my fox. I picked up some Eastwood rust encapsulator to coat over the patches. I figure I might as well coat the whole underside of the car to protect it. How do I do this? Do I just degrease everything, scrape the rust with a wire brush and then coat it?

Also what about the rear end id like to coat that as well as mine is an ugly rusted color. Can I just brush over it with the rust encapsulator as it is right now or should I take off the diff cover?

• Sponsors (?)

Got a few surface rust patches on the underside of my fox. I picked up some Eastwood rust encapsulator to coat over the patches. I figure I might as well coat the whole underside of the car to protect it. How do I do this? Do I just degrease everything, scrape the rust with a wire brush and then coat it?

Also what about the rear end id like to coat that as well as mine is an ugly rusted color. Can I just brush over it with the rust encapsulator as it is right now or should I take off the diff cover?
Wire wheel the rear end and paint it....

Reactions: 1 user
The automotive garage, where small maintenance and repairs soon get out of hand. Engulfing all spare time and money and sending the DIY'er into repair rage. Often called 'scope creep', it soon turns the unwary car owner into a mear shadow of their former self, existing on cheap beer and cheese crackers. They find one thing after another to repair/paint till they are driven to madness.
At that point they have entered The Taillight Zone.
Be careful of 'scope creep'.

• Haha
  • Clever
Reactions: 1 users
Wire wheel the rear end and paint it....
This with a real 2 part epoxy primer, or if you want a coating to slow it this is the only thing I would use after washing it in metal prep to kill the rust, rest either makes it worse or is a pita to deal with if you want fix it right later on...

https://www.originalcosmoline.com/shop/weathershed-aerosol-spray/ a case will do 2 cars.... Use it on woods / mud trucks that would normally rot out fast, just hose em off now., doesn't hold sand dirt like fluid film type sprays.