ignition starting to act up

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
ok a couple of days ago i pop the key into the ignition, and when i go to turn it, it feels stiff and harder to turn. i thought nothing off it.

havent had any problems with it since then until today.

i go to put the key in and it wont go in. like the insides were all jacked up and wouldnt let the key in right. i had the hammer the key in to get it to turn and ever since it feels a little tigher than usually. and the key wont go in 100% but it goes in enough to where it will turn over.

only thing that has happened to the car lately was i couldnt get the car started at a gas station. the starter just wouldnt turn the engine and i saw smoke coming from the hood. I thought it may have been the starter solenoid but no it was the batter or something. didnt really see where the smoke came from tbut the battery terminals were SUPER HOT. went back to start the car and it turned over fine, ever since then its started fine.
i doubt that would havea anything to do with it.

• Sponsors (?)

i couldnt see where exactly the smoke was coming from. wasnt from the solenoid. i dont see why the battery would smoke. but the battery terminals got super hot i mean super hot, i accidently touched it and it burnt a grove in my fingers. i felt like a little kid when i stuck my finger in the car cigarette lighter, i thought the round orange things were awesome, so i touched it, never did that again.:nonono:

to the solenoid..then to the positive side of the battery. Battery ground goes to block..and check your ground pigtail (ground wire off the main ground located by battery splitting off and attaching to the fender..could also have been damaged and is an important ground) while your at it.

Foxfan88 said:
... and when i go to turn it, it feels stiff and harder..........i thought nothing off it.
Enough about your personal life. Was the lock cylinder difficult to turn? :D

Anytime you ever come across a key that requires hammering assistance, note that this is a clue that something is wrong.

A loose connection at the battery will create a lot of heat.
Given how this thread has gone, I'd think it wise to replace your primary electrical cables and have your battery bench tested.

That sounds easier than step by step diagnostics, and really isnt a bad idea with these old cars, like Derek said.

Good luck.

it was difficult to turn

today when i had to shove the key in, it was so stiff the cyl would stick in the start position after i let off. so the start was spinning after the engine started. i had to grab it and pull it back.

the cables look fine and the battery isnt very old but i will give er a try. i havent had the smoke since it happen, i kind of pushed the terminal on tighter.

Your car was talking to you but you weren't listening. Anytime you have to force something it's a symptom that something is seriously out of whack. Go back to your original problem and check out your ignition tumbler which will probably need replacing. Also your hammering the key in may have damaged your ignition switch which could cause a myriad of electrial problems.